|Date||26 September 2022|
|Perpetrators||US deep state?, NATO?|
|Exposed by||Seymour Hersh|
|Interest of||John Helmer|
|Description||Destruction of Europe's energy supply, under different circumstances it would be considered a declaration of war.|
The Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines were sabotaged by large explosions on the 26 September 2022. These happened in an area that the USS Kearsarge was crossing shortly before and in which US military helicopters had been circling in early September. The Polish navy in 2021 had interfered and endangered the pipe laying vessels in the same location.
Beginning around 2010 the EU began to push a radical change in rules for pricing natural gas. Prior to that point most gas prices were set in fixed long-term contracts for pipeline delivery. The largest supplier, Russia’s Gazprom, provided gas to the EU, most especially to Germany, in long-term contracts pegged to the price of oil. Until the last several years almost no gas was imported by LNG ships. With a change in US laws to allow export of LNG from the huge shale gas production in 2016 US gas producers began a major expansion of LNG export terminal construction. The terminals take an average of 3 to 5 years to build. At the same time Poland, the Netherlands and other EU countries began to build LNG import terminals to receive the LNG from abroad.
In November 2015, the Swedish Armed Forces cleared a "munitions object" found in close proximity to the Nord Stream 1 pipeline (line 2). The location of the object was in the Swedish Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) approximately 120 km away from the island of Gotland.
National Review, on 22nd February 2022, published an article by Jim Geraghty with the headline: "Nice New Pipeline You’ve Got There. Shame If Something Happened to It". The article concludes with:
“A lot of Germans are invested — politically and economically — in closer ties with Russia, and may be eager to restore the previous status quo as soon as it is politically palatable. Of course, if something happened to make the Nord Stream 2 pipeline unusable, it is a different story. Hey, what is Andreas Malm doing these days? Where are those eco-radicals when we really need them?”
Jim Geraghty (22 February 2022) 
According to reports that were made public shortly thereafter, the NYT writes: "The C.I.A. issued a vague warning in June to a number of European nations, including Germany, that the two Nord Stream gas pipelines that carry natural gas from Russia could be targeted in forthcoming attacks,".
In June 2022, the U.S. Navy held an exercise off the coast of Bornholm, Denmark. In support of the BALTOPS 2022 exercise, the U.S. Navy 6th Fleet partnered with U.S. Navy research and warfare centers to bring the latest advancements in unmanned underwater vehicle mine hunting technology to the Baltic Sea to demonstrate the vehicle’s effectiveness in operational scenarios. Experimentation was conducted , with participants from Naval Information Warfare Center Pacific, Naval Undersea Warfare Center Newport, and Mine Warfare Readiness and Effectiveness Measuring all under the direction of U.S. 6th Fleet Task Force 68. This exercise may have provided enough disturbance and sound cover to approach the pipeline undetected - the Baltic sea being constantly monitored  "enabled by a broad array of national platforms, including coastal radars, maritime patrol aircraft (both manned and unmanned), surface warships with their air defense radars and sonar arrays, submarines, acoustic and magnetic anomaly sensors, and coastal patrol craft".
Russian media warned of a military threat to the pipelines in April 2021, after a significant number of civilian ships and warships (mostly Polish), as well as submarines, made dangerous maneuvers around the pipeline construction vessel Fortuna. Polish military aircraft flew around and over the construction site.
Peskov points to American culpability:
“There is a party or a party that, in the absence of the functioning of these gas pipelines, is able to sell more LNG at a higher price. This side is well known, it is the United States, [...] there are also countries that have the military-technological capabilities to carry out such sabotage”
Dmitry Peskov (03 October 2022) 
On 30th September, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that the incident: "offers tremendous strategic opportunity for the years to come"  - while on his first visit in office to Europe at the beginning of 2021, he called for the Nord Stream 2 project to be stopped.
Another pipeline from Norway to Poland, the Baltic Pipe, had a ceremony to mark the opening the next day.
Thierry Meyssan writes that Poland and its Central European allies, members of the Three Seas Initiative (modeled on the Intermarium concept) will now take the economic lead at the expense of western Europe (France, Netherlands, Germany).
Journalist and foreign correspondent John Helmer writes:
“The military operation on Monday night which fired munitions to blow holes in the Nord Stream I and Nord Stream II pipelines on the Baltic Sea floor, near Bornholm Island, was executed by the Polish Navy and special forces.
It was aided by the Danish and Swedish military; planned and coordinated with US intelligence and technical support; and approved by the Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki.
The operation is a repeat of the Bornholm Bash operation of April 2021, which attempted to sabotage Russian vessels laying the gas pipes, but ended in ignominious retreat by the Polish forces. That was a direct attack on Russia. This time the attack is targeting the Germans, especially the business and union lobby and the East German voters, with a scheme to blame Moscow for the troubles they already have — and their troubles to come with winter.
Morawiecki is bluffing. “It is a very strange coincidence,” he has announced, “that on the same day that the Baltic Gas Pipeline opens, someone is most likely committing an act of sabotage. This shows what means the Russians can resort to in order to destabilize Europe. They are to blame for the very high gas prices”. The truth bubbling up from the seabed at Bornholm is the opposite of what Morawiecki says.”
John Helmer (27 September 2022) 
Alex Christoforou points out that usually there is an understanding among great powers, that if one were to blow up the other one's infrastructure, it would inevitably draw in a response. So as to not end up in a situation where everything gets destroyed, certain things were in the past agreed to be off-limits. But since the US is not a coherent government anymore in his argument, US state officials are now giving statements that are not unified, which leads him to believe that this was not coordinated with every branch that would otherwise be involved in the decision process; the decision process that would lead to the final order to use covert action.
Alexander Mercouris says that after a while (following investigation) it will be blamed on Russia, but he sees no reason why they should have caused the damage, since Russia could have just cut the gas-flow (which they did in the past) and are now missing this instrument for leverage in negotiations.
On 3rd October, former CIA director John Brennan warns that Russia will target other pipelines.
Pepe Escobar reports that his sources tell him that there were secret negotiations to solve the issue of deliveries between Germany and Russia. Escobar also points to a remark by Dmitry Peskov, who in his choice of words was hinting at this.
The German think tank German-Foreign-Policy while not mentioning "secret negotiations", mentions to the so-called Japan-solution, in which Japan takes part in the US sanctions regime, but excludes the natural gas sector from that completely. They also point out that there was push back within the governing coalition against the blocking of North Stream 2 (besides the AFD, most notably Wolfgang Kubicki (FDP) wanted to get NS2 opened), and popular protest was forming on the streets of Germany.
Denmark and Sweden will not cooperate with Germany, the most affected state, in it's investigation. German press finds interview partners that say Russia possibly had mined it's pipelines during construction; all investigative findings from the German side are under strictest secrecy.
In mid-November the Swedish investigation made public statements that it found explosive traces at the Nord Stream pipeline.
Report by Seymour Hersh
In February 2023 Seymour Hersh published an article that put the blame squarely on the United States with minor help from Norway. Philip Giraldi commented on it:
"I have known Sy Hersh for a number of years and spent time together with him and other former CIA colleagues helping to confirm details of some of his earlier exposes on US government abuses and outright lies in its somewhat not completely credible role as “guardian” of national security. Hersh is a meticulous investigator who never, in my experience, accepted uncorroborated claims in support of his narratives. I have some understanding of who his sources in the intelligence agencies and Department of Defense might be in this case and it should be accepted that what he has written is completely verifiable and derived from individuals who were actual participants in the activities described. That is not to say that there will not be failures to recall accurately certainly details including aspects of the possible Norwegian involvement, something critics are already pointing to, but the main thrust of “whodunit” and “how” is pretty definitively demonstrated."
John Helmer is critical of the article and points to his own information (published the day after the bombing) and Dmitry Peskov, who said that: "some points could be challenged and some points need proof"; also Russian officials spoke of British involvement earlier.
On 27 September 2022, Gonzalo Lira blamed the US government for sabotaging the pipelines, echoing a NATO general who said:
"Our purpose is to keep the Russians out, keep the Americans in, and keep the Germans down”.
In late October 2022, the Russian Defence Ministry accused the British Navy to have been involved in the sabotage of the pipelines; which the UK Ministry of Defence denied the same day.
On 1 November 2022, Russia’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova asked in a Telegram post:
|Britain 'directed Nord Stream sabotage'|
- “To be honest, I don’t care who got this information and how. I’m interested in London’s answer to the following question: Did Prime Minister Liz Truss of Britain send a message to US Secretary of State Antony Blinken immediately after the Nord Stream gas pipeline was blown up with the words ‘It’s done’?”
- Maria Zakharova suggested that “millions of people around the world” were waiting for answers concerning the Nord Stream sabotage, “and what role the Anglo-Saxons played in this terrorist attack.”
Zhakarova’s Telegram post comes amidst claims that Truss allegedly sent the text to Blinken through her unsecured iPhone, prompting internet figure Kim Dotcom to tweet “iCloud admin access rocks,” adding “it’s not just the Five Eyes that have backdoor admin access to all Big Tech database,” although not elaborating what he knows of the matter.
Various press, including the British edition of the Daily Mail, also said that Truss’s phone was hacked and the exchange with Blinken leaked. Other analysts have connected the event to UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallace’s sudden and unannounced visit to the United States, citing a Telegraph article that claims a defence source said the in-person meeting was related to compromised communication systems between the UK and US.
Whatever the veracity of these claims may or may not be, President Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, said that Russian intelligence agents are in possession of data indicating British military specialists “were directing and coordinating the attack,” according to various press, including Anadolu and AFP.
On 28th September, the German Bild publishes an article with the headline: "Western Security Agencies Suspect - Putin had Nord Stream mined during construction" (the paper historically publishing what special interests wants society to believe, or be concerned with).
Tweeting on 6 October 2022, Jonathan Cook wrote:
"The Nord Stream blasts were an act of international vandalism on an almost unimaginable scale, overshadowing even 9/11. And yet the media response has been decidedly muted, apart from some barely credible finger-pointing at Russia."
- Full article: Forged 2022 Rand report
- Full article: Forged 2022 Rand report
At the same time as the sabotage, there circulated an alleged leaked research report from the deep state think tank Rand, outlying a US strategy to weaken Germany. From the language used, the report is an obvious forgery, and may well have been circulated in an attempt to discredit independent media not doing sufficient due diligence. Rand issued press release stating it was a fake document.
In resulting discussions in the aftermath the question was raised if divers could operate in the turbulent waters of the Baltic Sea, a German website with a focus on explosive demolition writes:
The damage is located in a water depth of about 70 meters. Professional and combat divers can also work at such depths in the Baltic Sea to place the previously discussed cutting charges or, even simpler, concentrated explosive charges in the form of mines.
The Wikipedia page was entitled "2022 Nord Stream gas leaks".
|Dave Cullen||“[...] whether it is Covid lockdowns, or raising the price of electricity and fuel, or restrictions on energy usage, such as mandatory rationing, or even powercuts - the result is always the same. Winding down the economy, destroying small to medium businesses, forcing more people to stay at home, reducing human movement and making people dependent on the government for their most basic needs. [...] The plan appears to be, do drag on the Ukraine war for as long as possible, so as to create an excuse to accelerate the transition to completely insufficient power sources such as wind, wave and solar energy, during this process energy rationing will become the norm, [...]”||Dave Cullen||13 September 2022|
|Patrik Oksanen||“If you look at the factors of capacity, interest, and also add documented operational patterns with high risk appetite, there is only one answer. It is the Russian Federation that has blown up Nordstream 1 and 2.”||Patrik Oksanen|
|Peter Zeihan||“German manufacturing will be dead within a year and a half. I know that we're used to be more worried about China here, but Germany is not coming back. If the war ended tomorrow it's probably already too late.”||Peter Zeihan||8 September 2022|
|Document:How America Took Out The Nord Stream Pipeline||Article||8 February 2023||Seymour Hersh||Under Secretary of State Victoria Nuland told Senator Ted Cruz: “Like you, I am, and I think the Administration is, very gratified to know that Nord Stream 2 is now, as you like to say, a hunk of metal at the bottom of the sea” (Senate Foreign Relations Committee, 26 January 2023).|
|Document:How Spin and Lies Fuel a Bloody War of Attrition in Ukraine||Article||13 February 2023||Medea Benjamin|
Nicolas J. S. Davies
|President Eisenhower famously said that only an "alert and knowledgeable citizenry" can "guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. An "alert and knowledgeable citizenry" would surely then demand that our government stop fueling this war and instead support immediate peace negotiations.|
|Document:Nord Stream 2 requires military protection||Article||14 April 2021|
The Official Culprit
- ↑ https://freewestmedia.com/2022/10/01/us-helicopters-circled-over-nordstream-for-weeks/
- ↑ https://alethonews.com/2022/10/01/us-helicopters-circled-over-nordstream-for-weeks/
- ↑ https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/us-military-aircraft-circled-nord-stream-incident-site-in-se
- ↑ https://www.moonofalabama.org/2022/09/whodunnit-facts-related-to-the-sabotage-attack-on-the-nord-stream-pipelines.html#more
- ↑ https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/gazprom-nato-mine-destroyer-was-found-nord-stream-1-2015-2022-10-10/
- ↑ https://www.marinetechnologynews.com/news/gazprom-destroyer-device-found-623160
- ↑ https://alethonews.com/2022/10/11/nato-once-lost-underwater-drone-under-nord-stream-gazprom-reminds/
- ↑ http://www.williamengdahl.com/englishNEO31August2022.php
- ↑ https://www.nord-stream.com/press-info/press-releases/munitions-object-found-near-nord-stream-pipeline-has-been-successfully-cleared-478/
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20151113172251/https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-10/did-someone-try-attack-russias-go-gas-pipeline-underwater-drone
- ↑ http://archive.today/2022.09.28-111846/https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/nice-new-pipeline-youve-got-there-shame-if-something-happened-to-it/ National Review
- ↑ http://archive.today/2022.09.28-085108/https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/27/world/europe/cia-nord-stream-pipelines-attack.html
- ↑ https://www.spiegel.de/politik/nord-stream-gasleitungen-cia-warnte-bundesregierung-vor-anschlag-auf-ostsee-pipelines-a-3ab0a183-8af6-4fb2-bae4-d134de0b3d57
- ↑ https://seapowermagazine.org/baltops-22-a-perfect-opportunity-for-research-and-resting-new-technology/
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BALTOPS#BALTOPS_2022_(51st)
- ↑ https://www.fpri.org/article/2020/07/maritime-security-issues-in-the-baltic-sea-region/ saved at Archive.org saved at Archive.is
- ↑ Atlantic Council, 2019, Over the Horizon - NATO Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance in the Baltic Region, Mark E. Ferguson, Christopher Harper and Richard D. Hooker (Stable URL: http://www.jstor.com/stable/resrep20948.4)
- ↑ apparently trying to get archive via archive.is of this deletion is getting blocked by Twitter
- ↑ https://www.polskieradio.pl/395/9766/Artykul/3044302,Polish-exFM%E2%80%99s-comment-on-Nord-Stream-leaks-%E2%80%98serves-Russian-propaganda%E2%80%99-gov%E2%80%99t-spokesman
- ↑ https://vz.ru/society/2021/4/14/1094528.html saved at Archive.org
- ↑ https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/kremlin-us-raised-lng-prices-sales-after-nord-stream-gas-leaks-2022-10-03/
- ↑ https://www.transcend.org/tms/2022/10/blinken-says-nord-stream-sabotage-is-a-tremendous-opportunity/
- ↑ https://www.state.gov/secretary-antony-j-blinken-and-canadian-foreign-minister-melanie-joly-at-a-joint-press-availability/
- ↑ https://www.dw.com/de/blinken-nord-stream-2-muss-gestoppt-werden/a-56959232
- ↑ https://www.euronews.com/2022/09/27/baltic-pipe-norway-poland-gas-pipeline-opens-in-key-move-to-cut-dependency-on-russia
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_Pipe
- ↑ https://www.voltairenet.org/article218167.html saved at Archive.org saved at Archive.is
- ↑ http://johnhelmer.org/the-bornholm-blow-up-repeats-the-bornholm-bash-poland-attacks-germany-and-blames-russia
- ↑ ~ 08:00 m - https://odysee.com/@alexchristoforou:7/nord-stream-cui-bono-blinken,-in-no:8
- ↑ https://odysee.com/@AlexanderMercouris:a/attacks-on-nord-stream-pipelines:e
- ↑ http://archive.today/2022.10.04-025534/https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1576739866054111232
- ↑ Who Profits from Pipeline Terror?
- ↑ “Both lines of the Nord Stream 2 are filled with gas, the whole system is ready for pumping gas, and this gas is very expensive,' he said, adding that “now this gas is evaporating into the air.' - https://www.aa.com.tr/en/energy/natural-gas/nord-stream-2-pipeline-leakage-big-problem-for-russia-kremlin/36470
- ↑ http://archive.today/2022.09.28-102234/https://www.german-foreign-policy.com/news/detail/9037 - Part 2 of the article
- ↑ https://www.rnd.de/politik/nord-stream-untersuchung-deutschland-ermittelt-ohne-daenemark-und-schweden-zu-lecks-an-pipelines-OWGMYHCNLL5ATNNRHXLYBYTBTY.html
- ↑ https://www.businessinsider.de/politik/welt/nord-stream-betreiber-bietet-gaslieferungen-durch-die-letzte-intakte-leitung-an/
- ↑ https://deutsche-wirtschafts-nachrichten.de/700735/Verschlusssache-Nord-Stream-Ermittlungen-unterliegen-strenger-Geheimhaltung
- ↑ https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/18/business/nord-stream-explosive-traces-sweden-intl/index.html
- ↑ https://seymourhersh.substack.com/p/how-america-took-out-the-nord-stream
- ↑ https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/nord-stream-sabotage-was-cia-us-navy-covert-op-seymour-hersh-bombshell-prompts-white
- ↑ https://www.unz.com/pgiraldi/america-the-feckless-2/
- ↑ http://archive.today/2023.02.10-180320/http://johnhelmer.org/whats-wrong-with-the-hersh-report-on-the-nord-stream-attacks/
- ↑ "The Americans Declared War On Europe"
- ↑ https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/declassified_137930.htm
- ↑ https://www.rt.com/russia/565577-nord-stream-uk-attack/
- ↑ https://news.sky.com/story/uk-accuses-russia-of-peddling-false-claims-after-moscow-blames-royal-navy-for-nord-stream-pipeline-blasts-12733132
- ↑ "Russia asks UK's ex-premier about explosions at Nord Stream pipelines"
- ↑ https://www.bild.de/bild-plus/politik/ausland/politik-ausland/nord-stream-liess-putin-die-pipelines-schon-beim-bau-verminen-81465678.bild.html
- ↑ "The Nord Stream blasts were an act of international vandalism on an almost unimaginable scale, overshadowing even 9/11"
- ↑ "CAN EUROPE AFFORD TO TURN A BLIND EYE TO EVIDENCE OF A US ROLE IN PIPELINE BLASTS?"
- ↑ https://www.greanvillepost.com/2022/09/13/bombshell-classified-rand-corporation-executive-summary-research-report-january-25-2022-weakening-germany/
- ↑ https://www.rand.org/news/press/2022/09/14.html
- ↑ https://sprengtechnik.de/sprengung-nordstream/ saved at Archive.org