| Mike Pence |
(Vice President of the United States)
|Born||Michael Richard Pence|
Columbus, Indiana, U.S.
|Alma mater||Hanover College, Indiana University, Indianapolis|
|Member of||White House Coronavirus Task Force|
Mike Pence (born June 7, 1959) is an American politician, lawyer, and the former Vice President of the United States. He previously served as the 50th Governor of Indiana from 2013 to 2017.
Latin America tour
On the eve of VP Mike Pence's Latin America tour in August 2017 to Colombia, Argentina, Chile, and Panama, President Donald Trump threatened military action against Venezuela, which has the world's largest oil reserves. Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza was quick to react saying Venezuela rejected "hostile" threats and called on Latin America to unite against Washington:
- "We want to express gratitude for all the expressions of solidarity and rejection of the use of force from governments around the world, including Latin America."
- "All foreign or domestic threats to resort to force undermine the goal of reinstating democratic governance in Venezuela, as well as the principles enshrined in the UN charter," said Peru's Foreign Minister Ricardo Luna.
Mexico and Colombia joined in with statements of their own:
- "All measures should be peaceful and respect the sovereignty of Venezuela," a statement from Colombia's foreign ministry said.
Regional alliance Mercosur added it rejected the use of force against Venezuela, despite having indefinitely suspended the country last week amid international condemnation of Maduro's new, all-powerful National Constituent Assembly.
- "The mere suggestion is being rejected in a region with bitter memories of the days when the US marines were sent in to impose American interests in Washington's so-called backyard," she said.
Patricio Navia, a political analyst, told Al Jazeera that Pence will have his hands full in trying to gain political leverage in the region:
- "I think Pence's problem is that he is going to come to Latin America and people are going to ask him:
- 'Are you speaking on behalf of President Trump, are you speaking on behalf of the US government? Will President Trump be the president a year from now in the US?'
- "So, I dont think he has enough political clout to exert any kind of influence in Latin America. I don't think any Latin American nation would support military invasion of Venezuela. What I think Pence wants to do is shore up support to remove Maduro through other means."
|Document:Is Oil Behind Washington’s Venezuela Coup Madness||Article||3 February 2019||William Engdahl||Leaving aside whether or not Maduro is a saint, the decision by President Trump to back the Bolton-Pence call for a US intervention in Venezuela may prove a fatal error for the Trump presidency.|
|Document:Outside In: The Trump Administration’s Plan to Remake the Middle East||Article||10 October 2018||Ted Snider||Benjamin Netanyahu refers to his doctrine as Outside In: first you pacify the Outside and ally with the Sunni Arab states (Egypt and Saudi Arabia) outside of Israel, then, in exchange, you extract a peace plan out of them that you then impose Inside on a Palestine now devoid of allies and leave it helpless to hold out against a peace plan forced on the Palestinians by Donald Trump.|
|Document:Trump said to deprecate Netanyahu's intention to bump off Assad||Article||1 September 2017||Eric Zuesse||Better wait until my fundamentalist VP is in place, Benny boy!|
|Document:Under Trump, the Israel lobby is a Hydra with many heads||Article||30 May 2018||Jonathan Cook||Since Trump took office, the Israel lobby has mobilised four other powerful lobbies: Christian evangelicals, the alt-right, the military-industrial complex and Saudi Arabia|
|Document:Venezuela critics are just Blairites having a kick at Jeremy Corbyn||Interview||7 August 2017||George Galloway|
|For nineteen years the United States government and its secret agents have been trying to overthrow the Venezuela political process. Why might that be? Well, there are many reasons but the biggest among them has the smallest name: OIL.|