Jump to navigation Jump to search
1886 < 1887 < 1888 < 1889 < 1890 < 1891 < 1892 <1893 < 1894 < 1895 < 1896 > 1897 > 1898 > 1899 > 1900 > 1901 > 1902 > 1903 > 1904 > 1905 > 1906
|( 1890s: ) 1896|
- January 6 – Cecil Rhodes is forced to resign as Prime Minister of the Cape of Good Hope, for his involvement in the Jameson Raid.
- March 1 – Battle of Adwa: Ethiopia defends its independence from Italy, ending the First Italo-Ethiopian War.
- March 3 – Publication begins for Der Eigene, the world's first magazine with an orientation to male homosexuality, by Adolf Brand in Berlin.
- April – The first study of the sensitivity of global climate to atmospheric carbon dioxide is published. Svante Arrhenius presents his findings in his paper, "On the Influence of Carbonic Acid in the Air upon the Temperature of the Ground", the London, Edinburgh, and Dublin Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science, as an extract of a paper that had been presented to the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences on December 11, 1895.
- April 6 – The opening ceremonies of the 1896 Summer Olympics, the first modern Olympic Games, are held in Athens, Greece.
- April 9 – The National Farm School (later Delaware Valley College) is chartered in Doylestown, Pennsylvania.
- May 8 – Cricket: Against Warwickshire, Yorkshire sets a still-standing County Championship record, when they accumulate an innings total of 887.
- May 13 – The Franchise Bill is passed by the Colony of Natal's Legislative Assembly, disfranchising natives of other countries.
- May 26 – Eleven years after its foundation, a group of 12 purely industrial stocks were chosen to form the Dow Jones Industrial Average. The index is composed entirely of industrial shares for the first time.
- July 9 – William Jennings Bryan delivers his Cross of Gold speech at the Democratic National Convention, which nominates him for president of the United States.
- July 26 – The International Socialist Workers and Trade Union Congress opens in London.
- August 14 – The Uganda Railway Act, 1896, is approved in the United Kingdom, for construction of a railway in Africa, from Mombasa to Lake Victoria.
- August 16 – Skookum Jim Mason, George Carmack and Dawson Charlie discover gold in the Klondike, Yukon.
- August 23 – The Cry of Pugad Lawin initiates the Philippine Revolution.
- August 27 – The shortest war in recorded history, the Anglo-Zanzibar War, starts at 9:00 in the morning, and lasts for 45 minutes of shelling.
- September 15 – The Crash at Crush train wreck stunt is held in Texas.
- September 22 – Queen Victoria surpasses her grandfather King George III as the longest-reigning monarch in British history.
- September 28 – Pathé or Pathé Frères a French film company and one of the oldest film companies is founded by the brothers Charles Pathé, Théophile Pathé, Émile Pathé and Jacques Pathé.
- September 30 – Italy and France sign a treaty, whereby Italy virtually recognizes Tunisia as a French dependency.
- November 3 – 1896 U.S. presidential election: Republican William McKinley defeats William Jennings Bryan. The event is viewed by some as a political realignment for the United States Republican Party.
- December 30 – José Rizal, Filipino scholar and poet, is executed by Spanish authorities in the Philippines.
|Dreyfus Affair||November 1894||1906|
|University of North London||London university merged in 2002 into the London Metropolitan University.|
|International Transport Workers' Federation|
|Banco Ambrosiano||Financier||A bank connected to P2, no doubt used for various illicit purposes.|
|University of the Witwatersrand||University||Has its roots in the important South Africa mining industry|
|Roche||Largest pharmaceutical company in the world|
|Title||Born||Place of birth||Died||Summary||Description|
|Edmund Hall Patch||1896||1975||UK civil servant, IBRD/Executive Director, 1960 Bilderberg|
|Edward Martin||1896||Lawyer||Unidentified 1960 Bilderberg participant|
|Everett Dirksen||4 January 1896||United States|
|7 September 1969||Politician||Strong supporter of the war on Vietnam.|
|Abram Pritzker||6 January 1896||8 February 1986||Lawyer|
|Founder of the Chicago Pritzker family fortune, with significant Mafia connections.|
|Wilton Persons||19 January 1896||5 September 1977||Soldier||Military officer who served as the White House Chief of Staff to President Dwight D. Eisenhower|
|Clarence Streit||21 January 1896||Missouri||6 July 1986||Journalist|
Deep state operative
|Played a prominent role in the Atlanticist and world federalist movements|
|Donato Menichella||23 January 1896||Italy|
|23 July 1984||Central banker|
|Anastasio Somoza García||1 February 1896||29 September 1956||Soldier|
|With the help of the US Marine Corps started a family dictatorship that maintained absolute control over Nicaragua for 42 years.|
|F. Trubee Davison||7 February 1896||14 November 1974||Spook|
|Son of influential banker Henry Davison. Worked with deep state operatives Judge Gary and Bill Donovan. After WW2 Director of Personnel for the CIA.|
|Arthur W. Radford||27 February 1896||United States|
|17 August 1973||Pilot|
|Military hardliner with Asia first strategy|
|Herbert Tingsten||17 March 1896||26 December 1973||Academic|
|Swedish publisher who attended 3 of the first 4 Bilderbergs|
|Kingman Douglass||16 April 1896||8 October 1971||Spook|
|Leif Höegh||21 April 1896||23 May 1974||Deep politician|
|Bilderberg Steering committee, as was his son|
|Willi Krichbaum||7 May 1896||Germany|
|4 April 1957||Spook|
|William Elliott||12 May 1896||Tennessee|
Deep state operative
|Harvard professor at the center of the deep state.|
|William Elliot||3 June 1896||27 June 1971||RAF commander, Bilderberger|
|Imre Nagy||7 June 1896||Hungary|
|16 June 1958||Politician|
|Nathaniel L. Goldstein||9 June 1896||New York||24 March 1981||Lawyer||New York State Attorney General from 1943 to 1954|
|Henry Crown||13 June 1896||14 August 1990||Businessperson||American industrialist and strong supporter of the state of Israel.|
|John Vorys||16 June 1896||Ohio|
|25 August 1968||Politician|
|US lawyer and politician|
|Wallis Simpson||19 June 1896||Pennsylvania|
Blue Ridge Summit
|24 April 1986|
|Walter Paepcke||29 June 1896||13 April 1960||Businessperson||Founder of Aspen Institute|
|Colin Gubbins||2 July 1896||Japan||11 February 1976||Spook|
|Bilderberg invitee and spook|
|Pierre Dupuy||9 July 1896||Canada|
|21 May 1969||Diplomat||Canadian diplomat. Like his son, Michel Dupuy, a Bilderberger diplomat|
|Arnold Bergstraesser||14 July 1896||24 February 1964||Academic|
Deep state functionary
|German political scientist who headed some deep state groups in the 1950s and 1960s|
|Trygve Lie||16 July 1896||Norway|
United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway
|30 December 1968||Politician||Norwegian politician. UN "Godfather" of the state of Israel|
|Bourke Hickenlooper||21 July 1896||United States|
|4 September 1971||Politician||Attended the 1963 Bilderberg as Chair of the Senate Republican Policy Committee. Introduced the Hickenlooper Amendment.|
|Pieter Kerstens||3 August 1896||Ginneken||8 October 1958||Politician||Dutch politician and strong supporter of European cooperation.|
|James Warburg||18 August 1896||Germany|
Free City of Hamburg
|3 June 1969||Author|
|Jacques Rueff||23 August 1896||France|
|23 April 1978||Economist||Mont Pelerin Society, 1958 and 1959 Bilderberg|
|Guerin De Beaumont||29 August 1896||France|
|13 October 1955||Politician||Made French Minister of Justice soon after he attended the first Bilderberg. Died in 1955.|
|William Pawley||7 September 1896||US|
|US diplomat who died from a gunshot to the head, possibly due to the HSCA hearings.|
|Robert Kerr||11 September 1896||Oklahoma|
|1 January 1963||Politician|
|Walter Reid Wolf||28 October 1896||New York|
|18 May 1963||Spook|
|Briefly and not very successfully CIA deputy director from 1951 to 1953.|
|Nobusuke Kishi||13 November 1896||Japan|
|7 August 1987||Politician|
Deep state operative
|Oswald Mosley||16 November 1896||London|
|3 December 1980||Politician||Rose to fame in the 1930s as the British Union of Fascists (BUF).|
|Carlo Schmid||3 December 1896||11 December 1979||Politician|
|Founder member of the Bilderberg Steering committee|
- The Law Journal Reports for the Year 1896 (Stevens and Sons, Ltd., 1896), Volume 65, p247
- Iiams, Thomas M. (1962). Dreyfus, Diplomatists and the Dual Alliance: Gabriel Hanotaux at the Quai D'Orsay (1894 – 1898), Geneva/Paris: Librairie Droz/Librairie Minard, p. 115