| Nadine Dorries |
(deep state functionary, maverick?)
|Born||Nadine Vanessa Bargery|
21 May 1957
Anti BBC, Online Safety Bill and Vaccine-promoting British Cabinet minister, one of Boris Johnson's biggest defenders
Nadine Vanessa Dorries is a British politician who was Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport from 2021 to 2022. A member of the Conservative Party, she has been Member of Parliament (MP) for Mid Bedfordshire since 2005. In February 2020, Dorries became the first UK MP to be diagnosed with COVID-19.
She was highly critical of David Cameron and George Osborne, calling them 'arrogant posh boys'. She supported Brexit.
Being a backbencher most of her parliamentary career, she joined the frontbench in 2019 when Boris Johnson became Prime Minister, and joined the cabinet in September 2021 as UK/Culture Secretary. She offered an agenda of BBC reform and promoted the Online Safety Bill. She was a big supporter of Boris Johnson. She opposed his ousting, calling it a "coup".
In July 2022, she endorsed Liz Truss in the leadership election, accusing Rishi Sunak of plotting a "coup" against Boris Johnson. She was accused by Bernard Jenkin of waging a "terrorist campaign" against the PartyGate Inquiry to defend Johnson. She left government when Liz Truss became the new prime minister.
Dorries was born in Liverpool and trained as a nurse. She has spoke about her own experiences of child sexual abuse.
|Nadine Dorries was the first celebrity to leave the jungle|
She was elected to parliament in 2005 and became notorious as something of a maverick.
In August 2011, she led Britain's first parliamentary delegation to Equatorial Guinea. She met with prime minister Ignacio Milam Tang, for which she was criticised in The Guardian.
In 2012, she appeared on the ITV reality show I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here. She was the first sitting MP to appear in a reality tv programme since George Galloway appeared on Big Brother in 2006. She was temporarily suspended from the Conservative Party. She was the first contestant eliminated after spending 11 days in the jungle. It was speculated that David Cameron might expel her from the party, and she would defect to UKIP but the whip was reinstated when she returned to Britain.
Dorries was a campaigner for Brexit. On 29 May 2016, she said "letter is already in" regarding confidence in David Cameron's leadership.
In 2016 after Cameron's resignation, she urged Boris Johnson to run for leader, and cried at his press conference when he didnt.
In July 2019, she was appointed a minister at Department of Health and Social Care when Boris Johnson became Prime Minister.
In January 2022, it was confirmed that the BBC licence fee would be scrapped. "The days of the elderly being threatened with prison sentences and bailiffs knocking on doors" were over", she said. She was criticised by her shadow Lucy Powell, who said that the government is "hell-bent on attacking this great British institution because they don't like its journalism". As expected, liberals on twitter went mad, heaping praise on BBC personalities and decrying "authoritarianism". Is scrapping the licence fee "media censorship"? According to the usual cheerleaders of censorship, yes.
Dorries supported a ban on wearing the burka, stated that they should not be allowed in Britain and that it was "shameful that countries like France and Denmark are way ahead of us on this". She is accused of Islamophobia.
She was sceptical of bombing Syria in 2013. She wrote that she thought the government was rushing before the UN report. She abstained from voting. After the mass murder in Paris, she called for a parliamentary vote on targeting ISIS.
As a catholic, she opposes abortion.
She promotes animal welfare and supports a ban on trophy hunting.
In November 2020, an email from her office revealed the plans for a 2-tier society, saying that "The Covid Vaccine will not be made mandatory. However, if you chose not to take the vaccine, then you will face short-term restrictions to prevent you infecting anyone else until society has achieved herd immunity." Back in November 2020 this was still classified as a conspiracy theory by corporate media. Dorries denied having seen the email before it was sent.
In 2021 she has promoted the Online Safety Bill, which will criminalise trolls and "online hate speech". It has been argued that the bill will protect freedom of expression but the short title of the bill suggests otherwise. She is being encouraged to make the bill more broad by the Labour Party. A Counter-terrorism angle has also been used to promote the bill. Keir Starmer wants trolls who commit "online hate crime and hate speech" to be targeted in the legislation.
She opposes cancel culture. On 21 June 2020, she joined Parler and was attacked by The Guardian. She was accused by the corporate media of promoting fake news and far right conspiracy theories.
She is a huge critic of the BBC, and has been criticised by liberals. When she became Culture Secretary, she took aim at the BBC's “elitist” attitude and “lack of impartiality”. She wants to scrap the BBC licence fee.
In May 2009, The Daily Telegraph, as part of its exposure of MPs' expenses claims, questioned whether the property in Dorries' constituency, on which she claimed £24,222 additional costs allowance (for "secondary" housing costs), had been in fact her main or only home from 2007 onwards. The newspaper also queried hotel bills including one for 'Mr N Dorries': these had been disallowed by the Fees Office and Dorries said they were submitted by mistake. On 22 May 2009, she spoke on BBC Radio 4 and drew parallels between the McCarthy 'Witch-Hunts' and the press's 'drip-drip' revelation of MP's expenses, eliciting David Cameron's public criticism. She said everyone was fearing a 'suicide', and colleagues were constantly checking up on each other. Later in the day her blog was taken down. It transpired that Withers, lawyers acting for the Barclay Brothers, the owners of the Daily Telegraph, had required the removal of the blog, on threat of libel action against the service provider.
In January 2010, it was reported that Dorries was still being investigated by John Lyon, the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, regarding her claim for second home expenses There was some debate as to the location of her main home. It was also reported that Dorries had claimed £20,000 in office expenses for work undertaken by Media Intelligence Partners, a media relations and public affairs company.
A Document by Nadine Dorries
|Title||Document type||Publication date||Subject(s)||Description|
|Document:Someone said they wanted to see me trapped in a burning car and watch flames melt my flesh||Article||22 October 2021||Big Tech|
Online Safety Bill
"Online hate crime"
|After the murder of MP David Amess, a crackdown on "internet trolls" is being demanded by most politicians. The UK's new Culture Minister Nadine Dorries is pursuing new overreaching legislation regulating Big Tech. The "Online Safety Bill" will abolish online anonymity and empower internet censorship. There are fears that it will be the end for freedom of expression in the UK.|
A Quote by Nadine Dorries
|COVID-19/Lockdown/UK||“Journalists should stop asking about an ‘exit strategy.’ There is only one way we can ‘exit’ full lockdown and that is when we have a vaccine. Until then, we need to find ways we can adapt society and strike a balance between the health of the nation and our economy”||15 April 2020|
- ↑ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17815769
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-l3lXikTwA
- ↑ https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nadine-dorries-boris-johnson-pmqs_uk_61fb94cbe4b06abdc42b4f8c
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsQeEApSGpI
- ↑ https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11056977/Nadine-Dorries-accuses-Rishi-Sunak-leading-ruthless-coup-oust-Boris-Johnson.html
- ↑ https://order-order.com/2022/08/09/bernard-jenkin-compares-nadine-to-a-terrorist/
- ↑ https://www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/uk-news/boris-johnson-dorries-partygate-inquiry-b2143187.html
- ↑ https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/dorries-confirms-she-was-asked-to-stay-on-as-culture-secretary-41964847.html
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Gr7Fou7dY
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/may/15/nadine-dorries-tory-ukip-candidate
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/oct/23/equatorial-guinea-africa-corruption-kleptocracy
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/nov/27/nadine-dorries-rebuild-bridges-tory-whip?CMP=twt_fd
- ↑ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10041420/Nadine-Dorries-how-can-David-Cameron-stop-her-from-having-the-last-laugh.html
- ↑ https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/tory-mp-demands-david-cameron-resign-over-brexit-lies-on-live-tv_uk_574ab863e4b02163fae8f39c
- ↑ https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3668534/Tory-MP-Nadine-Dorries-bursts-crying-Boris-Johnson-quits-Tory-leadership-contest.html
- ↑ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60014514
- ↑ https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Sorry%20Dan%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends
- ↑ https://twitter.com/mrdanwalker/status/1482754354935435265
- ↑ https://www.dailysabah.com/world/europe/new-british-culture-secretary-dorries-accused-of-islamophobia
- ↑ https://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/politics/mid-bedfordshire-mp-nadine-dorries-says-she-wont-vote-haste-ahead-syria-debate-2327774
- ↑ http://dorries.org/arc-2013_August.aspx
- ↑ https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paris-attacks-tory-mp-calls-6830100
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/science/the-lay-scientist/2010/nov/08/2
- ↑ http://dorries.org/id-2250-2019_5_It's_Time_to_Ban_Trophy_Hunting.aspx
- ↑ https://fullfact.org/online/nadine-dorries-vaccine/
- ↑ https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10122113/Social-media-firms-forced-law-stamp-abuse-anonymous-online-trolls.html
- ↑ https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-blasts-government-refusing-protect-25075066
- ↑ https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hate-crime-loophole-social-media-keir-starmer-b1941836.html
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/17/revealed-tory-mps-and-commentators-who-joined-banned-app-parler
- ↑ https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/keir-starmer-grooming-gangs-video-fake-twitter-nadine-dorries-tories-far-right-a9515241.html
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/oct/06/nadine-dorries-attack-on-the-bbc-reeks-of-hypocrisy-but-it-does-need-reform
- ↑ https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bbc-nadine-dorries-conservatives-conference-b1932044.html
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY2iSrLcObQ
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20090518143730/http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5330904/MPs-expenses-Tory-MP-Nadine-Dorries-admits-she-only-spends-weekends-and-holidays-in-her-main-home.html
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20160111071234/http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/may/22/mps-expenses-conservatives
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20090525131848/http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8063005.stm
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20160603003653/http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/may/23/dorries-tory-mp-blog-taken-dow
- ↑ a b https://web.archive.org/web/20100119051659/http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/6997465/MPs-expenses-Nadine-Dorries-under-investigation-by-sleaze-watchdog.html
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20100127013158/http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/conservative-mps-expenses/7054504/MPs-expenses-Nadine-Dorriess-neighbours-to-give-evidence-over-second-home-claims.html