| Fidel Castro |
Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz|
August 13, 1926
Birán, Holguin Province, Cuba
25 November 2016 (Age 90)|
|Alma mater||University of Havana|
• Fidel Ángel Castro Diaz-Balart|
• Alina Fernández-Revuelta
• Alexis Castro-Soto Alejandro Castro-Soto
• Antonio Castro-Soto Angel Castro-Soto
• Alex Castro-Soto Jorge Angel Castro Laborde
• Francisca Pupo
• Raúl Castro Ruz|
• Emma Castro Ruz Agustina Castro Ruz
• Ramon Castro Ruz
• Angela Castro Ruz
• Juana Castro
• Ruz Pedro Emilio Castro Argota
• Manuel Castro Argota Lidia Castro Argota
• Antonia Maria Castro Argota Georgina Castro Argota
• Martin Castro
|Perpetrator of||Cuban Revolution|
|Party||Orthodox Party, 26th of July Movement, Communist Party of Cuba|
Survived an estimated 600 assassination attempts to be the longest ever non-royal leader.
Fidel Castro (13 August 1926 – 25 November 2016) was a Cuban politician and revolutionary who governed the Republic of Cuba for 47 years as Prime Minister from 1959 to 1976, and then as President from 1976 to 2006 (de jure until 2008).
Staunch opponent of Apartheid
George Galloway wrote:
- “Fidel Castro did not die. He is not dead, he lives-on in all of us and in the lives of our children, even though as yet unborn. And that is why these gold-tooth, scar faces are dancing in Miami today, because they think that they will be going back to business as it was before.
- "The greatest legacy of Fidel Castro is that Cuba will never ever again be anybody’s casino, anybody’s bordello. It is a free country, thanks to the Cuban revolution and its leader Fidel Castro, one of the greatest human beings who ever lived, who ever walked this earth.
- "We were privileged to live in his era. Some of us were privileged to be his comrade and friend and to spend many hours with him.
- "He is not gone. Hasta la victoria siempre, Comandante Fidel Castro!"
Leaders pay their respects
On 30 November 2016, Fidel Castro’s ashes began a four-day journey across Cuba from Havana to their final resting place in the eastern city of Santiago. A number of South American leaders indicated they would attend his funeral on Sunday, 4 December 2016: Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro, whose late mentor Hugo Chavez had a special bond with Castro, Ecuador's Rafael Correa, Bolivia's Evo Morales, Nicaragua's Daniel Ortega, Salvadorean President Salvador Sanchez Ceren and Mexico's President Enrique Pena Nieto.
Two southern African presidents will also fly to Cuba: South Africa's Jacob Zuma and Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe. But the European Union may be represented by just one leader: Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras. Other notable Europeans attending include: Ireland's Gerry Adams and Spain's ex-King Juan Carlos. UK Prime Minister Theresa May, France's President Francois Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel are all staying away. However, they will be sending government representatives. Shadow Foreign Secretary Emily Thornberry will attend to represent the UK's Labour Party.
An event carried out
Use the Up/Dn symbols to sort
|Cuban Revolution||26 July 1953 - 1 January 1959||Cuba|
An appointment by Fidel Castro
Use the Up/Dn symbols to sort
|Pedro Luis Díaz Lanz||Head of The Cuban Air Force||1 January 1959||29 June 1959||Sacked by Fidel Castro after voicing opposition to communism.|