The 1961 Bilderberg Meeting was the 10th such meeting and the first one in Canada. had 72 participants from 10 European countries, the United States and Canada. It was held at St-Castin near Quebec, Canada. The meeting began with a tribute from H.R.H. the Prince of the Nethetlands to Józef Retinger (who died shortly after the 1960 Bilderberg), who reminded the guests that "the Bilderberg Meetings had owed a great deal to his efforts." The 71 guests included 14 business executives, 20 politicians, 6 financiers, 0 editors/journalists and 4 academics.
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 1. What initiatives are required to bring about a new sense in leadership and direction within the Western Community?
- 1.2 2. The implications for Western unity of changes in the relative economic strength of the United States and Western Europe
- 2 Participants
- 3 Witnesses
- 4 Related Document
- 5 References
The 1961 Bilderberg Agenda has been leaked and is now online.
1. What initiatives are required to bring about a new sense in leadership and direction within the Western Community?
The role of NATO in the world policy of the member countries
Eight guests had prepared answers to the following questions:
- What is the attitude towards the Alliance in the various countries?
- What are the principal problems at present arising in connection with the Alliance?
- Should it be attempted to increase cohesion among members and, if so, how?
The role and control of atomic weapons inside NATO
"The discussion of this item was based, on the one hand, on a technical note from an authoritative source and, on the other, on an article by one of the American participants that had recently appeared in Foreign Affairs under the title: "Nuclear Sharing: N.A.T.O. and the N+I country".
2. The implications for Western unity of changes in the relative economic strength of the United States and Western Europe
This was introduced by two working papers.
|Robert L. Bartley|
|Frans A. de Graaf|
|Friedrich von der Schulenburg|
|File:Bilderberg-Conference-Report-1961.pdf||report||A summary of the 1961 Bilderberg meeting that took place from 21 April 1961 - 23 April 1961 at St-Castin, Quebec, Canada|