(Redirected from Lord Callaghan of Cardiff)Jump to navigation Jump to search
| James Callaghan |
|Born||Leonard James Callaghan|
Portsmouth, Hampshire, United Kingdom
|Died||2005-03-26 (Age 92)|
Ringmer, East Sussex, United Kingdom
|Children|| • Margaret|
• Julie Michael
|Parents||James Callaghan Charlotte Cundy|
Uranium from Namibia
- "... nevertheless, in keeping with the spirit of these (UN) resolutions, we have decided to give no further promotional support for trade with Namibia..."
- James Callaghan, Foreign Secretary, House of Commons, December 1974
The Rossing File awaits the answer to this question:
- Why was it that Mr Callaghan as Foreign Secretary, following talks with representatives of SWAPO in Lusaka during January 1975, gave a false impression to members of the Labour Cabinet that Namibia's "sole authentic representative" had no objection to the Rössing Uranium Mine contracts being continued?
Records of that discussion confirm that the SWAPO representatives present gave no such indication.
Event Participated in
|Bilderberg/1963||29 March 1963||31 March 1963||France|
|Document:Lockerbie Bombing and my Reinstatement in HM Diplomatic Service||letter||29 January 1997||Patrick Haseldine||Former diplomat Patrick Haseldine writes to former Prime Minister James Callaghan|
|Document:Reinstatement in HM Diplomatic Service||letter||6 January 1997||Patrick Haseldine||A plea for reinstatement in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office by "Thatcher's Whitehall Critic"|
|Document:The Rossing File:The Inside Story of Britain's Secret Contract for Namibian Uranium||pamphlet||1980||Alun Roberts||Scandal in the 1970s and 1980s of collusion by successive British governments with the mining conglomerate Rio Tinto to import yellowcake from the Rössing Uranium Mine in Namibia (illegally occupied by apartheid South Africa) in defiance of international law, and leading to the targeting of UN Commissioner for Namibia Bernt Carlsson on Pan Am Flight 103 in December 1988.|
- David McKie, "Lord Callaghan", The Guardian, 28 March 2005.
- Document:The Rossing File:The Inside Story of Britain's Secret Contract for Namibian Uranium
|This is a page stub. Please add to it.|
... more about "James Callaghan"
UK/Prime Minister +, Leader of the Labour Party +, Father of the House +, Leader of the Opposition +, Foreign Secretary +, Shadow Foreign Secretary +, Shadow Secretary of State for Employment +, Shadow Home Secretary +, Home Secretary +, Chancellor of the Exchequer +, Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer +, Parliamentary and Financial Secretary to the Admiralty +, Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Transport + and Member of Parliament for Cardiff South and Penarth +
Has subobject"Has subobject" is a predefined property representing a container construct and is provided by Semantic MediaWiki.