|Israel's exploitation of wind energy in the occupied Golan Heights is legal under international law because it does not deplete the territory's natural capital. But oil drilling would violate that principle.|
Syria's Golan Heights have been occupied by Israel since the 1967 Six-Day War. The United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) was deployed there in June 1974 to monitor the ceasefire between Israel and Syria following the 1973 Yom Kippur War. Without an Israel-Syria peace agreement in the intervening four decades, UNDOF - whose mandate is renewed by the UN Security Council every six months - remains in the Golan Heights.
On 9 July 2005, the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign was established to increase economic and political pressure on Israel to end its occupation and colonisation of Palestinian land and the Golan Heights, provide full and equal rights for Arab citizens of Israel, and respect the right of return of Palestinian refugees.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was one of the first heads of government to go to the United States to meet the new President Donald Trump on 16 February 2017. While the commercially-controlled media focused on the themes of Israeli settlements in the West Bank, the Iran nuclear deal or a Palestine two-state solution, virtually no mention was made by CNN or other US mainstream media of the most strategic point the two discussed. Netanyahu asked the US President to recognise the Israeli illegal occupation of Syria’s Golan Heights, something no US President has done since Israel openly declared it theirs in 1981.
In 2010, Israel awarded oil exploration rights in the Golan Heights to Genie Energy, a US company founded by Howard Jonas, an American Jewish millionaire, whose 'strategic advisory board' includes a bunch of senior spooks from the cabal:- Dick Cheney, the former US vice president, media tycoon Rupert Murdoch, Lord Jacob Rothschild, Larry Summers, a senior official under Democratic Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, and former CIA director James Woolsey. The chairman of Afek, Genie's Israeli subsidiary, is Effi Eitam, a far-right former general and cabinet minister who lives in an illegal settlement in the Golan.
In October 2015, a huge oil discovery in the Golan Heights was reported in the Israeli media.
Upping the Ante
On Sunday 17 April 2016, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a cabinet meeting in the Golan Heights for the first time, declaring that Israel would not return the territory, even to a post-civil war Syria.
- “The time has come for the international community to recognise reality. Whatever is beyond the border, the boundary itself will not change.”
Germany was the first country to respond. Martin Schaefer, spokesman for the German Foreign Ministry, said:
- "It's a basic principle of international law and the UN charter that no state can claim the right to annex another state's territory just like that."
US State Department spokesperson John Kirby stressed that the Obama administration does not consider the Golan Heights to be part of Israel:
- "The US position on the issue is unchanged. This position was maintained by both Democratic and Republican administrations. Those territories are not part of Israel and the status of those territories should be determined through negotiations. The current situation in Syria does not allow this."
In a tweet, Mr Trump declared that the plateau was of "critical strategic and security importance to the State of Israel and regional stability".
In a tweet, Mr Haass said the move violated a UN Security Council resolution, "which rules out acquiring territory by war".
Mr Trump's declaration comes as Benjamin Netanyahu faces a closely fought general election on 9 April 2019, as well as a series of possible corruption charges.
|2006 Lebanon War||12 July 2006 - 14 August 2006|
|Document:Ruth Davidson slammed over high-level Tory visit to illegal Israeli settlement||Article||13 November 2016||Martin Williams||Al-Marsad director Dr Nizar Ayoub told Ruth Davidson: "The only part of Syria that Israel borders is the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. The fighting in Syria is not taking place metres away from Israel, it is taking place metres away from the occupied Syrian Golan."|
|Document:The New Silk Road Will Go Through Syria||Article||13 July 2017||Pepe Escobar||Beijing is working non-stop for the Iran-Iraq-Syria triumvirate to become a key hub in the New Silk Road (OBOR). Any bets against a future, booming Shanghai-Latakia container route?|
|Document:Trump Set to Recognise Israel’s Claim to Occupied Golan Heights and its Sizeable Oil Reserves||Article||26 May 2018||Whitney Webb||Given that Genie Energy’s contract to conduct exploratory drilling in the Golan Heights expires this year, its investors are in urgent need of a way to extract and sell the region’s oil – and a US decision on Israel’s claim to the Golan Heights could be just the answer to the company’s problems.|
|Document:Verdict First, Evidence Later: Khan Sheikhoun Gas Attack||article||11 April 2017||James O'Neill||Three days before the tragedy at Khan Sheikhoun a convoy of TOW (Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-guided) missiles, gas masks for up to 2000 persons and chemical warfare suits from Saudi Arabian stockpiles left Hatay in Turkey for Idlib in Syria where al Nusra are in control.|
|Document:Who has Committed the Recent Gas Attack in Syria||Article||6 April 2017||Jean Périer||The plan to incriminate the Syrian government for the use of chemical weapons was finalised at a meeting in an Israeli army camp deep inside the occupied territory of the Golan Heights attended by leaders of a number of terrorist groups sponsored by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, Turkey, Israel, France, UK and the United States.|
- "United Nations Disengagement Observer Force - Background"
- Mitchell G. Bard; Jeff Dawson (2012). "Israel and the Campus: The Real Story" (PDF). American-Israeli Cooperative Enterprise (AICE). Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "SYRIA: Trump and Netanyahu Lead us to Brink of Another Oil War in Golan Heights"
- "Israel Grants Oil Rights in Syria to Murdoch and Rothschild"
- "Cheney, Rothschild, and Fox News’ Murdoch to Drill for Oil in Syria, Violating International Law"
- "Huge oil discovery in Golan Heights - Israeli media"
- "Israel to annex Golan Heights after 'billion barrel' oil find"
- "Golan Heights 'forever Israeli', PM Benjamin Netanyahu vows"
- "Amid Syria talks, Netanyahu declares ‘Israel will never leave the Golan Heights’"
- "Israel Will Never Return Golan Heights to Syria, Says Netanyahu"
- "Germany Rejects Netanyahu's Vow to Keep the Golan Heights"
- "U.S. Responds to Netanyahu: Golan Heights Are Not Part of Israel"
- "Trump: Time to recognise Golan Heights as Israeli territory"
|Description||Israel's exploitation of wind energy in the occupied Golan Heights is legal under international law because it does not deplete the territory's natural capital. But oil drilling would violate that principle. +|
|Display docType||Wikispooks Page +|
|Display image||File:Golan_Wind_Turbines.jpg +|
|Has coordinates||32° 58' 54", 35° 44' 58"Latitude: 32.98167|
Longitude: 35.74944 +
|Has fullPageName||Golan Heights +|
|Has fullPageNamee||Golan_Heights +|
|Has image2||File:Golan_Wind_Turbines.jpg +|
|Has location||Middle East +|
|Has noRatings||0 +|
|Has objectClass||Place +|
|Has objectClass2||Place +|
|Has revisionSize||7,793 +|
|Has revisionUser||Patrick Haseldine +|
|Has wikipediaPage2||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golan_Heights +|
|Is not stub||true +|