The 1973 Bilderberg Meeting was the 22nd such meeting and had 80 participants from European countries, the United States, Canada and "various international organisations". It was held at Saltsjobaden, Sweden.
- 1 Participants
- 2 Agenda
- 3 Context
- 4 Events carried out
- 5 Participants
- 6 Witnesses
- 7 References
Among the 1973 participants were the CEOs of Royal Dutch Shell, British Petroleum (BP), Total S.A., ENI, Exxon, as well as significant banking interests and individuals such as Baron Edmond de Rothschild and David Rockefeller, as well as Henry Kissinger, then US Secretary of State.
1. The Possibilities of the Development of a European Energy Policy and the Consequences for European-North American Relations
The discussion is reported as follows:
- Nature and Scale of the Energy Problem
- What Can Be Done about the Supply Situation?
- The geopolitical background in the Middle East
- Negotiations with the producing countries
- Transforming our relations with the Arab states
- Sharing available supplies
- Alternative sources and forms of energy
- What Can Be Done about the Demand Situation?
- The validity of consumption forecasts
- Economic, political and social aspects of demand reduction
- Avenues towards better fuel economy
- The Monetary Impact of the Oil Crisis
2. Conflicting Expectations Concerning the European Security Conference
This topic had two working papers, one by a Norwegian, one by an American.
The American working paper noted "The continued requests for price increases from Middle East producing countries, accelerated by the devaluation of the dollar. The international oil companies might wage a rear-guard action, but in the end they would yield rather than risk interruption of supplies. They believed it was up to the economies of the consuming countries to absorb these price increases."
Five months after the meeting, the Yom Kippur War brought extensive rises in the price of oil, triggering the 1973 Oil crisis. Various commentators have suggested that this may not have been a coincidence. Sheikh Yamani has stated that he "is 100% sure that the Americans were behind the increase in the price of oil" in 1973.
Events carried out
|"1973 Oil crisis"||October 1973 - March 1974|
|Yom Kippur War||6 October 1973 - 25 October 1973|