| Guido Westerwelle |
|Born||27 December 1961|
Bad Honnef, West Germany (Now Germany)
|Died||18 March 2016 (Age 54)|
Cause of death
|acute myeloid leukemia|
|Alma mater||University of Hagen|
|Member of||Atlantik-Brücke, WEF/Global Leaders for Tomorrow/1997|
|Victim of||premature death|
Atlantik-Brücke, Bilderberg 2007, ousted after a media campaign. Died aged 54 of acute myeloid leukemia.
Guido Westerwelle was a German politician for the FDP who has been foreign minister from 2009 to 2013.
When Westerwelle showed too much independence, he was ousted[By whom?] after a media campaign. In 2010, leaked U.S. diplomatic cables revealed that US diplomats considered Westerwelle an obstacle to deeper transatlantic relations. A cable from 20th May 2009 summarized:
While his domestic credentials have matured over the FDP's eleven years in the opposition, his level of understanding of foreign policy matters appears to be not as developed. His speech at the DGAP was disappointing; his command of complex foreign issues, for example, regarding the Middle East and Iran were not convincing. [...] Westerwelle has as good a chance as anyone to become foreign minister in the next government. Building the USG relationship with him — and sending clear signals about U.S. expectations — is an important investment now, however frustrating Westerwelle's views on individual issues may be.
In 2011, before the attack on Libya started, a decision was pending in the UN Security Council (of which Germany was a rotating member at the time). In what has been described as "spectacular move", he as the German foreign minister instructed the German ambassador to abstain.
FDP Flyer affair
During Möllemanns (also FDP) so-called "flyer affair" in 2002, Westerwelle was invited to Israel to settle the matter. The Süddeutsche Zeitung wrote in 2010:
Israel's ambassador at the time, Shimon Stein, observed the goings-on with concern and got the FDP leader an invitation to Jerusalem. Westerwelle accepted, but reiterated his criticism of Israel's occupation policy in Bild am Sonntag shortly before his departure. "One is allowed to criticize without immediately being pushed into the brown corner," he said. In Jerusalem, Westerwelle was received by the highest representatives of the state - who read him the riot act. Then-Prime Minister Ariel Sharon spoke about anti-Semitism in Europe and got specific: "The things that are said against the Jewish community in Germany also worry us a lot."
Westerwelle delayed breaking with Möllemann after the trip. Möllemann was forced to resign from his posts on Oct. 21 only after the federal election failed for the FDP and illegal financial machinations became known. Less than a year later, he parachuted to his death.
In March 2010 he made his stance on the Israeli government's settlement program and said that: "We want a two-state solution,"
He became ill from acute leukemia in 2014, later diagnosed as acute myeloid leukemia.
Events Participated in
|Bilderberg/2007||31 May 2007||3 June 2007||Turkey|
|The 55th Bilderberg meeting, held in Turkey|
|WEF/Annual Meeting/2009||23 January 2008||27 January 2008||World Economic Forum|
|WEF/Annual Meeting/2013||23 January 2013||27 January 2013||World Economic Forum|
|2500 mostly unelected leaders met to discuss "leading through adversity"|
- ↑ https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/a-teflon-chancellor-and-wildcard-foreign-minister-how-america-views-the-germans-a-731645.html - "And Foreign Minister Westerwelle? US envoys are particularly critical of Germany's top diplomat. The secret cables describe him as incompetent, vain and critical of the United States, and as a burden on the trans-Atlantic relationship."
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guido_Westerwelle&oldid=1115314040
- ↑ https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/09BERLIN594_a.html
- ↑ https://www.cicero.de/innenpolitik/guido-westerwelle-deutschland-schuldet-ihm-spaeten-dank
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20150128073806/http://foreignpolicy.com/2009/11/23/westerwelle-buries-the-hatchet-in-israel/
- ↑ https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/westerwelle-in-israel-affaere-mit-langzeitwirkung-1.149487
- ↑ https://www.dw.com/en/berlin-criticizes-israeli-settlement-policy/a-5382877
- ↑ https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/westerwelle-hat-leukaemie-merkel-schickt-genesungswuensche-a-976513.html
- ↑ https://web.de/magazine/gesundheit/aml-guido-westerwelle-aggressive-form-leukaemie-31115804
- ↑ https://www.stern.de/gesundheit/guido-westerwelle-ueber-seine-leukaemie--die-wichtigsten-fragen-und-antworten-zu-der-krankheit-6545074.html