Arndt Freytag von Loringhoven
| Arndt Freytag von Loringhoven |
|Born||12 November 1956|
|Alma mater||Bonn University, Free University of Berlin, Oxford University|
|Parents||Bernd Freytag von Loringhoven|
|Spouse||Barbara von Ow|
|Member of||Integrity Initiative/Cluster/Germany|
Spook and diplomat. Part of the German cell of the Integrity Initiative. NATO's first chief of intelligence 2016-2019.
Arndt Freytag von Loringhoven is a German diplomat and chemist. He currently serves as Germany's ambassador to Poland. Loringhoven was deputy director of Germany's Federal Intelligence Service (BND) between 2007 and 2010. He was NATO 's first chief of intelligence (1 December 2016 – 2019). He was also Germany's ambassador to the Czech Republic and was a diplomat at the German Embassy in Moscow.
He was part of the German cell of the Integrity Initiative.
Loringhoven was born in Munich on 12 November 1956. He is the son of the late German lieutenant-general Bernd Freytag von Loringhoven. He is an Oxford graduate and completed his PhD studies at the Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry in Martinsried in 1984.
After joining the German Foreign Ministry in 1986, he was a diplomat at embassies in Paris and Moscow and he has also held several positions in the Foreign Ministry including Director of European Affairs.
In May 2017 he attended a panel debate about the counter-terrorism strategy of the NATO Civilian Intelligence Committee in the Croatian town of Opatija, where he also met with Croatian president Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović. In December 2017, he spoke at the Prague Insecurity Conference, saying that "hybrid threats" from Russia and terrorist groups were increasing. He argued that Russia was attempting to regain some of its waning influence in Europe using "hybrid tactics" which included the influencing of elections, cyberattacks and dissemination of fake news propaganda.
In August 2020, it was reported that Loringhoven had been appointed as the German ambassador to Poland by Heiko Maas, the Foreign Minister of Germany. Poland took additional time to consider giving him agrément. It was disputed if the reason is because of Loringhoven's father's participation in the German invasion of Poland and service in the Führerbunker until the end (although he had to repudiate Nazism to continue in the reconstituted army after the war) or whether the conflict was due to Polish opposition to German meddling in the country's politics.
- ↑ a b http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/who_is_who_140834.htm%7Caccessdate=2018-01-08
- ↑ http://www.dw.com/en/nato-appoints-arndt-freytag-von-loringhoven-as-first-intelligence-chief/a-36117319
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20180108175128/https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G2-2658100081.html
- ↑ Panel on NATO anti-terrorist activities opens in Opatija. Hina English Digest, 30 May 2017. Infotrac Newsstand, . Accessed 8 Jan. 2018.
- ↑ Hybrid threats are increasing - NATO Assistant Secretary General Daily News [Prague, Czech Republic], 1 Dec. 2017. General OneFile, . Accessed 8 Jan. 2018.
- ↑ https://www.euractiv.pl/section/grupa-wyszehradzka/news/polska-niemcy-ambasador-decyzja-msz/
Wikipedia is not affiliated with Wikispooks. Original page source [ here]