| Ellie Reeves |
Parachuted in at Lewisham West and Penge
Eleanor Claire Reeves|
11 December 1980
Ellie Reeves, a barrister specialising in employment law and Blairite former member of Labour's National Executive Committee, is married to John Cryer MP (chair of the Parliamentary Labour Party).
On 26 April 2017, Ellie Reeves was selected as the prospective parliamentary candidate for the safe Labour seat at Lewisham West and Penge in the UK/2017 General Election. She was elected with a 23,174 majority over Shaun Bailey, the Conservative candidate.
Involvement with Labour First
Ellie Reeves has consistently received support from the right-wing Labour Party faction, Labour First. The National Secretary of Labour First is Luke Akehurst . Labour First opposed the election of Jeremy Corbyn and has persistently been described as "anti-Corbyn".
Failed Harassment Allegations Against Blogger
According to a blogger Sam Smith who writes the blog Matthew Hopkins News, Ellie Reeves reported him to the police for harassment upon receiving a draft of his article, "Ellie Reeves MP and the Corpses of Children", for comment. After he spoke to a Detective Inspector however, the police decided to take no formal action against him and did not give him a harassment warning. Aside from the failed allegation of harassment, Reeves has never denied the truth of the allegations made by Matthew Hopkins News and did not respond to requests for comment.
On 7 July 2016, Ellie Reeves posted on her Facebook page:
The ballot for the Labour Party National Executive Committee (NEC) elections opens on Monday. In the candidate booklet every candidate gets a 200-word election address. Here's mine:
- "About Ellie: I have spent my life fighting for rights at work. As a trade union lawyer I represented blacklisted construction workers, I now provide help to women facing pregnancy discrimination. For 10 years I’ve been a strong voice for grassroots members on the NEC, elected with broad support across our party.
- "Fighting back: This government is attacking our communities and the EU Referendum result was devastating. We need a Labour government more than ever. We must re-engage voters in our heartlands and re-connect in the marginals. The next Labour government should:
- Reverse the privatisation of the NHS;
- Support comprehensive education;
- Repeal attacks on employment rights, abolish tribunal fees;
- Invest in maternity services & Sure Start;
- Build council housing, regulate the private rented sector.
- "A strengthened Party: Members are the life-blood of our party. I report back after meetings and have the experience and independence to face the challenges ahead. I support:
- A cap on spending in parliamentary selections;
- Giving members a greater say in policy making;
- A social media code of conduct;
- Welcoming new members, valuing the commitment of our longstanding ones;
- Increased representation for women, LGBT, BAME, young and disabled members.
- "I’m backing Akehurst, Bailey, Baxter, Dhanda, Wheeler.
Nick Diamantis added: Sorry Ellie but backing Luke Akehurst is a vote loser. That and your call for censorship on social media. It says everything that needs to be said about the authoritarian right of our party. Democracy is precious, don't support its destruction.
- Normally the Vice-Chair moves up to Chair and the next longest-serving member becomes Vice-Chair, but nothing now is normal. Ellie Reeves, Vice-Chair last year, was not re-elected to the NEC and Keith Vaz, next in line, said he would not throw his hat in the ring at the moment. There were nominations for Andy Kerr and Glenis Willmott MEP as Chair, and Glenis was elected by 18 votes to 17. I voted for her, as few leaders of the European PLP serve for long enough to become Chair, and in the year of Brexit and consequent upheaval it sends a powerful message of solidarity and reconciliation. Andy Kerr will be Vice-Chair and can expect to succeed as Chair next year, giving him two years as an NEC officer.
- "Barrister at Monaco Solicitors"
- "Bid for re-election to the NEC"
- "MP Tom Watson finds new love after break up of marriage"
- "Former Labour official Ellie Reeves selected for safe seat in London"
- "Delighted to have been elected as the Member of Parliament for Lewisham West and Penge with a majority of 23,174"
- "Jeremy Corbyn allies sweep to victory on Labour's NEC" (archive)
- "Joint NEC slate with Labour First announced" (archive)
- "Egomaniac Izzard Cost Moderates NEC Majority" (archive)
- "Tweet by Luke Akehurst" (archive)
- Revealed: The Anti-Corbyn Faction Running an 'Independent' Labour Election Campaign (archive)
- "Labour’s warring factions: who do they include and what are they fighting over?" (archive)
- "How are anti-Corbyn Labour MPs going to spend their time now?"
- "Ellie Reeves MP and the Corpses of Children" (archive)
- "Comment by Jeremy Owen"
- "Comment by Nick Diamantis"
- "Ann Black's reports from NEC meetings"