Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador
|Andrés Manuel López Obrador|
Tepetitán, Tabasco, Mexico
|Alma mater||National Autonomous University of Mexico|
|Parents||Andrés López Ramón Manuela Obrador González|
|Spouse||Rocío Beltrán Medina|
|Party||Institutional Revolutionary, (1976–1989), Democratic Revolution, (1989–2012), National Regeneration Movement, (2012–present)|
President of Mexico. Much disliked in certain circles north of the border.
AMLO won a crushing victory in the 1 July elections after two previous, unsuccessful runs for the presidency and he is the country's first leftist president for decadessince the Mexican Revolution to rise to prominence as a leftist leader. He sees his inauguration as a historic “fourth transformation” of Mexico, following independence from Spain, the liberal reforms that broke the church's dominance in the 1850s and the 1910-1917 revolution.
Friend of Corbyn
|AMLO: “my eternal friend Jeremy Corbyn"|
On Friday 30 November 2018, Jeremy Corbyn was welcomed to Mexico as a guest of honour at the inauguration of Mr Lopez Obrador, who invited him as “my eternal friend” to spend “Inauguration Eve” at his ranch, where they held an impromptu press conference:
- “Jeremy Corbyn is now with us,” Mr Lopez Obrador tweeted.
AMLO attached a 5-minute video, in which he praises British-Mexican relations, and emphasises – in a pointed nod at one of the most pressing items on his agenda, the defence of migrants’ rights:
- "We're Hispanics, but we've got good relationships with all people, and all nations. In particular we have excellent relationships with progressive movements around the world, especially in the UK.We're friends because progressive, democratic governments respect human rights - especially rights of migrants, who have the right to seek a better life.”
Jeremy Corbyn responded in Spanish:
- "The union of our people is very important. And the union of all people, for human rights and justice."
In his first speech to Congress, President López Obrador pledged:
- “A peaceful and orderly transition, but one that is deep and radical ... because we will end the corruption and impunity that prevent Mexico's rebirth.
- “I promise, and I'm a man of my word, that the investments of foreign and international investors will be safe, and we will even create conditions that will allow them to get good returns because in Mexico there will be honesty, rule of law, clear rules, economic growth and confidence.
- “We are going to govern for everyone, but we are going to give preference to the most impoverished and vulnerable. For the good of all, the poor come first."
- “It is a disgrace that our original communities live with oppression and racism, with poverty and marginalisation.”
“Yes, social media should not be used to incite violence and all that, but this cannot be used as a pretext to suspend freedom of expression. How can a company act as if it was all powerful, omnipotent, as a sort of Spanish Inquisition on what is expressed?”
Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador (14 January 2021) 
His ruling coalition won a reduced majority in the 2021 elections.
A Quote by Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador
|"COVID-19/Vaccine"||“We need to be careful, as it's obvious pharmaceutical companies wish to make a profit and would like to keep always selling vaccines for everyone. But we need to prioritise; we need to know if they're needed or not. (We need to) not be subordinated to Big Pharma dictating us: "we need a third dose", "we need a fourth", "we need to vaccinate children".”||July 2021|
- "Mexico's López Obrador sworn in as first leftist president in decades"
- “Jeremy Corbyn is now with us”
- "Jeremy Corbyn guest of honour on eve of populist Mexican president's inauguration"
- "Mexico's new President Lopez Obrador vows to transform country as he takes office"
- "AMLO vows to put Mexico's indigenous communities first"