| Afzal Khan |
|Born||Mohammed Afzal Khan|
5 April 1958
|Member of||Open Society Foundations/Reliable allies|
|Interests||Labour Muslim Network|
Afzal Khan is a Labour Party politician serving as Member of Parliament for the Manchester Gorton constituency since 8 June 2017. He previously was a Member of the European Parliament for the North West of England from 2014 to 2017.
Afzal Khan is Parliamentary Chair for the Labour Muslim Network.
In March 2017 Afzal Khan applied to be Labour's candidate in the 2017 Manchester Gorton by-election. On 22 March 2017, he was selected as the Labour Party candidate in a vote by 438 Gorton CLP members, narrowly beating local Councillor Yasmine Dar, who had the backing of Momentum. Khan had to defend the late Sir Gerald Kaufman’s 24,079 majority against an attempt by former MP George Galloway to return to parliament, as well as representatives from all the major parties. The by-election was cancelled when Theresa May called a snap UK/2017 General Election.
Khan was born in Pakistan and came to the UK aged 11. After leaving school without qualifications, he had a number of jobs – including as a Greater Manchester Police Constable – before returning to education and qualifying as a solicitor: he is now a partner of solicitors Mellor & Jackson in Oldham.
Afzal Khan was first elected a Councillor in Manchester Cheetham ward in 2000 being re-elected in 2004, 2007 and 2011, and also was Executive Member for Children's Services. Khan was the youngest, first British Pakistani and Muslim, Lord Mayor of Manchester for 2005-2006. He has also was Assistant Secretary-General of the Muslim Council of Britain and is currently its North West representative.
From 2000 to 2004, Khan was a member of the Department of Trade and Industry's Ethnic Minority Business Forum, advising the then Secretary of State, Patricia Hewitt. Following the 2005 London bombings, he became a member of a Home Office working group aimed at preventing extremism. Khan was appointed CBE for his race relations work and in 2011 was suggested as a candidate for Oldham East and Saddleworth. In 2012, he was a potential Labour candidate for the Bradford West by-election, but instead Imran Hussain was selected; Hussain was defeated at the by-election by George Galloway.
Afzal Khan was selected in February 2013 on the Labour Party's list for North West England at the European Parliamentary election of 2014 and, on 22 May 2014, he was returned as MEP for the North West of England.
In January 2016, Khan was appointed by the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament as Special Representative to Muslim Communities.
Afzal Khan is married with a son and two daughters, one of whom, Maryam Khan, was also a Councillor on Manchester City Council, for Longsight ward.
- ↑ "Labour chooses 'life-long' socialist MEP to fight Gorton seat"
- ↑ "Afzal appointed Parliamentary Chair of Labour Muslim Network"
- ↑ http://labourlist.org/2017/03/the-activists-aiming-to-be-labours-next-mp-in-manchester-gorton/
- ↑ "Afzal Khan MEP selected as Labour’s candidate for Manchester Gorton"
- ↑ https://twitter.com/LabourNorthWest/status/844694061885919232
- ↑ http://www.mnj.co.uk/
- ↑ http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/362/elections/5102/local_election_results_2011
- ↑ http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200033/councillors_and_democracy/3195/the_members_of_the_executive
- ↑ http://www.uaeinteract.com/docs/Sultan_meets_Mayor_of_Manchester/19319.htm
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2005/aug/27/features.jobsmoney6
- ↑ http://www.southmanchesterreporter.co.uk/news/s/501695_praise_for_asian_mayor
- ↑ http://www.ethnicnow.com/channels/government-politics/press-release/13/905/manchesters-former-lord-mayor-afzal-khan-receives-award.html
- ↑ http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/ex-lord-mayor-receives-cbe-from-prince-976626
- ↑ http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/news/10979600.Muslim_Jewish_Forum_wins_top_award/
- ↑ http://www.salaam.co.uk/themeofthemonth/september03_index.php?l=9#afzal
- ↑ http://uaf.org.uk/about/founding-signatories/
- ↑ http://www.uaeinteract.com/docs/Ajman_Ruler_receives_Manchester_Citys_Mayor/19087.htm
- ↑ http://www.insidermedia.com/productsandservices/archive/nwbi/2002-12/asian/index.html
- ↑ http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/communities/pdf/152164.pdf
- ↑ http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/former-mayor-manchester-afzal-khan-1686304
- ↑ http://www.euractiv.com/section/global-europe/news/s-d-appoints-special-representative-for-eu-muslims/
- ↑ https://www.neweurope.eu/article/europe-beyond-politics-rediscovering-humanity-way-forward/
- ↑ www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk
- ↑ www.labourlist.org
- ↑ "Could it be Minister Maryam?"
wikipedia is not affiliated with Wikispooks. Original page source here