| George Monbiot |
(Writer, political activist)
|Born||George Joshua Richard Monbiot|
Paddington, London, England, UK
|Alma mater||Brasenose College, Oxford|
|Parents|| • Raymond Geoffrey Monbiot|
• Rosalie Cooke
George Monbiot (born 27 January 1963) is a British writer known for his environmental and political activism who writes a weekly column for The Guardian.
In January 2018, journalist Jonathan Cook accused George Monbiot of "using his prominent platforms, at the Guardian and on social media, to discredit critical thinkers on the left – not with reasoned arguments, but by impugning their integrity."
Grenfell Tower fire
In a Guardian article in July 2017, George Monbiot wrote:
- "On 14 June 2017, while the Grenfell Tower was smouldering, a meeting of the Red Tape Initiative panel decided that "on this occasion" they would not recommend the removal of the EU Construction Products Regulation, which seeks to protect people from fire, and restricts the kind of cladding that can be used."
In January 2010, Monbiot founded the ArrestBlair.org website, which offers a reward to people attempting a peaceful citizen's arrest of former British prime minister Tony Blair for alleged crimes against peace.
September 11, 2001
Monbiot is the founder of The Land is Ours, a peaceful campaign for the right of access to the countryside and its resources in the United Kingdom. His most recent project was a concept album that he wrote and toured with the musician Ewan McLennan, called Breaking the Spell of Loneliness. He is the author of a number of books, including Captive State: The Corporate Takeover of Britain (2000) and Feral: Searching for Enchantment on the Frontiers of Rewilding (2013).
A Document by George Monbiot
|Title||Document type||Publication date||Subject(s)||Description|
|Document:Here’s why the Grenfell inquiry will be a stitch-up||Article||5 July 2017||Policy Exchange|
Grenfell Tower fire
Red Tape Initiative
|On 14 June 2017, while the Grenfell Tower was smouldering, a meeting of the Red Tape Initiative panel decided that "on this occasion" they would not recommend the removal of the EU Construction Products Regulation, which seeks to protect people from fire, and restricts the kind of cladding that can be used.|
|Document:FCO Skripal material 16.03.18||Twitter roundup||16 March 18 JL||Chris Hernon||A Twitter roundup from II. The contents are fairly standard fare, but which users II chose to follow is very interesting, including a certain type of journalist, and "other users in our field".|
|Document:George Monbiot’s excuses for not speaking out loudly in defence of Assange simply won’t wash||blog post||6 October 2020||Jonathan Cook||The war on Julian Assange has not only been a war on journalism. It is also a war on the whistleblowers who have assisted journalists and Wikileaks in arriving at the truth. Hanging on the outcome of Assange’s case is not only his personal fate, but journalism’s very ability to tap into sources close to the centres of power. In abandoning Assange, we abandon any hope of finding out the truth on a whole range of the most pressing issues facing us.|
|Document:Left-leaning Despisers of the 9-11 Truth Movement||open letter||6 July 2010||David Ray Griffin|
|Document:Monbiot is not only a hypocrite, but a bully too||Article||12 January 2018||Jonathan Cook||It is time for George Monbiot’s legion of supporters to call him out. Not only is he a hypocrite, but he is becoming an increasingly dangerous one!|
- Document:Monbiot is not only a hypocrite, but a bully too
- Document:Here’s why the Grenfell inquiry will be a stitch-up
- "Grenfell Tower fire: this is mass murder"
- David Thorpe/Cyberium (31 December 2010). "Arrest Blair". Arrest Blair. Retrieved 27 September 2012.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "Scribunto").
- Document:Left-leaning Despisers of the 9-11 Truth Movement
- "Breaking the Spell of Loneliness"