George Floyd gasps: "I can't breathe"
|Born||George Perry Floyd Jr|
14 October 1973
|Died||25 May 2020 (Age 46)|
George Floyd (14 October 1973 – 25 May 2020) was a black American man killed while being arrested on 25 May 2020 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, after allegedly using counterfeit money to buy cigarettes. One of the arresting police officers, Derek Chauvin, knelt on Floyd's neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds as he told them "I can't breathe". He died in hospital later that day.
After his death, protests against police violence toward black people quickly spread across the United States and internationally sparked by a video on social media of the neck kneeling incident leading to marches and demonstrations by the Black Lives Matter campaign across the world.
On 29 June 2020, Chauvin appeared in Minneapolis court via video charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter, with three other police officers all charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder, and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.
George Floyd grew up in Houston, Texas and played American football and basketball throughout high school and college. He held several jobs, and he was also a hip hop artist and a mentor in his religious community. Between 1997 and 2005, he was convicted of eight crimes; in 2009, he accepted a plea bargain for a 2007 aggravated robbery, serving four years in prison. In 2014, he moved to the Minneapolis area, finding work as a truck driver and a bouncer. In 2020, he lost his security job during the COVID-19/Pandemic.
- "8 Minutes and 46 Seconds: The Killing of George Floyd | Full Documentary"
- "Who was George Floyd? The 'gentle giant' who was trying to turn his life around"
- "Derek Chauvin and other George Floyd cops to appear in court today over shock killing"
- "Judge threatens to move George Floyd murder trial out of Minneapolis"
- "Who was George Floyd? Unemployed due to coronavirus, he’d moved to Minneapolis for a fresh start."
|The Killing of George Floyd|