| Andrew Cuomo |
(politician, deep state operative?)
|Born||Andrew Mark Cuomo|
Queens, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Fordham University, Albany Law School|
Governor of New York. Like his father, Attorney General of New York. Banned NY pharmacists from providing chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine during the COVID-19 pandemic, banned care homes from testing hospital transfers for COVID-19.
"In 2018, as Governor Andrew Cuomo faced a challenge to his reelection bid in the New York State Democratic primary, he got a last minute $1m cash infusion from the General New York Hospital Association (GNYHA) — a powerful NY healthcare industry group. On April 2, 2020, he repaid the favor when he quietly signed legislation shielding hospital and nursing home executives from any lawsuits stemming from the Covid-19 outbreak."
On 25 March 2020 Cuomo signed an "infamous" order which banned nursing homes from testing hospital transfers for COVID-19, and mandated that they accept them. Faced with criticism after the high death rate from COVID in nursing homes, he said the order requiring them to accept COVID-19 patients "wasn't a mistake." On 20 May 2020 he stated that the nursing home decision was following "President Trump’s CDC guidance," which Politifact rated as "mostly false". Cuomo "snapped at a reporter during a press conference on Sunday when asked about families who lost loved ones in nursing homes", replying "What is justice? Who can we prosecute for those deaths? Nobody."
Cuomo began his career working as campaign manager for his father then served as an assistant district attorney in New York City before entering private practice. He founded the Housing Enterprise for the Less Privileged and was Chairman of the New York City Homeless Commission from 1990 to 1993.
Mario Cuomo joined the Clinton Administration in 1993 when he was appointed assistant secretary for Community Planning and Development in the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). He then served as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development from 1997 to 2001.
After a failed campaign for governor in 2002, Cuomo was elected Attorney General of New York in 2006. In May 2010, Cuomo announced he was running for governor in the 2010 election. He won with 63% of the vote. During his first term, New York legalised same-sex marriage and toughened gun control. Cuomo was elected to a second term in 2014, with 54% of the vote.
The Moreland Commission
- Full article: The Moreland Commission
- Full article: The Moreland Commission
In July 2013, Andrew Cuomo announced the creation of the “Commission To Investigate Public Corruption” (aka “The Moreland Commission”) to great fanfare, summing up his motivation succinctly:
- “It’s about trust… it's about people’s trust of government… we want to restore the trust”.
Cuomo divestment contrast
On 7 June 2016, the day that Hillary Clinton claimed the status of presumptive nominee for the Democratic Party in the 2016 US presidential election, Andrew Cuomo signed an executive order requiring state agencies and authorities to divest from any company or institution that supports the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement targeting Israel. The order not only threatens to punish constitutionally protected political speech but also requires the State of New York to create a blacklist of allies of the movement, which BDS supporters describe as an effort to ensure human rights for Palestinians.
- “It’s very simple: If you boycott against Israel, New York will boycott you,” Cuomo said when he announced the order.
Cuomo's executive order blacklisting BDS over its Israel divestment policy stands in stark contrast to the legislative action proposed by his father Governor Mario Cuomo in 1985 which required the divestment of billions of dollars in state funds from apartheid South Africa, including about $4.4 billion in employees' and teachers' pension funds which were invested in hundreds of American companies doing business with the apartheid regime. Mario Cuomo said:
- "I have concluded that New York State should adopt a comprehensive and responsible strategy to demonstrate the abhorrence of our residents to the pernicious system of apartheid."
On 14 June 2016, an article on Facebook concluded:
- "Andrew Cuomo Is Re-elected New York Governor, but Loses Clout"
- "Moreland Commission to Investigate Public Corruption"
- Michael Falcone, Meredith McGraw, Liz Kreutz and Josh Haskell. "Hillary Clinton: Becoming Presumptive Democratic Nominee Will ‘Send a Signal Around the World’." ABC news, 7 June 2016
- "Gov. Cuomo’s BDS Blacklist Is An Affront To Free Expression"
- "Cuomo Proposes State Sell Stock In Concerns Tied To South Africa"
- "Andrew Cuomo: Hillary's Zionist Running Mate?"