| Daniel Smith |
|Born||March 6, 1956)|
|Alma mater||University of Colorado Boulder, Stanford University|
Director of the important US Foreign Service Institute
Daniel Bennett Smith is an American diplomat serving as the director of the Foreign Service Institute who was acting United States Secretary of State. He has held the rank of career ambassador since September 2018. He was previously Assistant Secretary of State for Intelligence and Research at the United States Department of State, assuming that post on April 24, 2014. He is considered a veteran diplomat by the U.S. diplomatic community.
Following the inauguration of Joe Biden, Smith was named acting secretary of state.
Early life and education
Smith obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in history from the University of Colorado Boulder, followed by a Master of Arts and PhD from Stanford University. His dissertation is entitled "Toward Internationalism: New Deal Foreign Economic Policy, 1933–39", and was completed in 1983.
Under President Barack Obama, Smith served as the United States Ambassador to Greece from 2010 to 2013.
In 2018, Smith was selected to serve as the Director of the Foreign Service Institute.
In 2021, President Joe Biden selected Smith to serve as the acting secretary of state until his nominee for the position, Antony Blinken, was confirmed by the United States Senate. Antony Blinken was confirmed on January 26, 2021.
Event Participated in
|Yearly discreet get-together of huge amount of transatlantic politicians, media and military and corporations, under the auspices of the CIA and NATO-close German Marshall Fund.|
- ↑ https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/training-center-for-us-diplomats-gets-a-new-director/2018/10/26/ebb58cfe-443e-40e6-8676-14ec813e5311_story.html
- ↑ https://2009-2017.state.gov/r/pa/ei/biog/225045.htm
- ↑ https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/magazine/mike-pompeo-translates-trump.html
- ↑ https://okcfox.com/news/nation-world/new-acting-secretary-of-state-is-career-diplomat
- ↑ http://www.coloradanmagazine.org/2011/03/01/class-notes-march-2011/ |archive-url=https://web.archive.org/web/20170602034308/http://www.coloradanmagazine.org/2011/03/01/class-notes-march-2011/
- ↑ https://archive.org/details/doubleedgeddiplo00pete |url-access=registration
- ↑ https://history.state.gov/departmenthistory/people/smith-daniel-bennett
- ↑ https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-biden-state-smith/daniel-smith-appointed-acting-u-s-secretary-of-state-idUSKBN29P2OP
- ↑ https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2021/01/26/senate-confirms-antony-blinken-president-bidens-secretary-state/4242530001/