Clive Anthony Lewis|
London, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||University of Bradford|
Clive Lewis (born 11 September 1971) is an English Labour Party politician who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Norwich South since winning the seat at the 2015 General Election from the sitting Liberal Democrat Simon Wright.
Appointed to Jeremy Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Secretary of State for Defence in June 2016, Lewis became Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy in the October 2016 reshuffle. He left the Shadow Cabinet on 8 February 2017 in protest over the Labour Party's decision to whip its MPs into voting to trigger Article 50 of the Treaty on the European Union. On 12 January 2018, Jeremy Corbyn appointed Clive Lewis Shadow Treasury Minister.
Clive Lewis was born in London but grew up on a council estate in Northampton. He studied economics at the University of Bradford before being elected to various student union roles and then serving as vice-president of the National Union of Students. Lewis then worked as a TV reporter for BBC News, becoming BBC Look East's chief political correspondent. He was also one of the Labour government's National Black Role Models. In 2006, he passed out of Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst as an infantry officer with the Territorial Army, and he served a three-month tour of duty in Afghanistan in 2009.
Selected as a candidate for Norwich South in 2011, Lewis often broke the party line on issues including nuclear weapons, tuition fees and immigration. Describing himself as a "proud socialist", he was elected by a comfortable margin as a MP for Norwich South. He was subsequently appointed as the Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Humanist Group. During the 2015 Labour leadership election, he was one of 36 MPs to nominate Jeremy Corbyn, and remains a strong Corbyn supporter.
- "She had an opportunity to bring the country together and she has comprehensively failed".
- "Election results for the General election 2015 in Norwich South". Norwich City Council.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Norwich South Parliamentary constituency". BBC. Retrieved 8 May 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Jeremy Corbyn unveils new top team after resignations". BBC News. 27 June 2016. Archived from the original on 26 June 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Heather Stewart; Anushka Asthana (8 February 2017). "Clive Lewis quits shadow cabinet over Brexit bill". The Guardian. London. Archived from the original on 8 February 2017. Retrieved 8 February 2017.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Clive Lewis returns to frontbench in Labour reshuffle"
- "Corbyn unveils new team". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 27 June 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Labour MP Clive Lewis says deselection of MPs is a 'democratic process'"
- @labourlewis says he and the Labour Party want a general election. #bbcqt