| Christian Drosten |
(Epidemiologist, Pharma lobbyist)
|Born||Christian Heinrich Maria Drosten|
|Alma mater||University of Frankfurt am Main|
|Interests|| • Virus|
Dr. Christian Heinrich Maria Drosten is a German virologist whose research focus is on novel "emergent" viruses. During the Covid-19 pandemic, Drosten came to national prominence as an expert on the implications and actions required to combat the outbreak in Germany. The commercially-controlled media response in Germany was massively dominated by his changing opinions on how dangerous SARS-COV-2 'really' is.
- 1 "Corona-explainer-in-chief"
- 2 Research
- 3 2009 Swine Flu false alarm
- 4 Mixed messages
- 5 PCR test
- 6 Other activities
- 7 WP page of interest
- 8 References
- 9 Event Sponsored
During the 2019–2020 coronavirus pandemic, Drosten was called by The Guardian as "the German country's real face of the coronavirus crisis", who also noted that the Süddeutsche Zeitung had described Drosten as "the nation's corona-explainer-in-chief". He was a counterpart to Lothar Wieler, head of the State's Robert Koch Institute in Berlin, in consulting to German federal and state authorities.
"strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin"
Drosten was one of 27 co-signers of The Lancet's February 2020 statement to "strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin". Later it was revealed that Peter Daszak has recruited him to do so.
- In 2004, Drosten received the GlaxoSmithKline funding award.
- post-doctoral award for virology from the Robert Koch Institute
2009 Swine Flu false alarm
In 2010, as the swine flu pandemic declared by the WHO the year before was fading out and had turned out to be globally very much less lethal than first estimated, Drosten warned that there would be a drastic increase in the number of cases in Germany and that it would spread all over the country. Drosten urged everybody to be vaccinated against swine flu. "The condition is a serious general viral infection that has significantly more serious side effects than anyone can imagine from the worst vaccine." In the end, the excess mortality from Swine Flu was negligible, and the government had to throw away 239 million euro of unused vaccines.
Concerning SARS-COV-2 he said that antibodies may develop naturally and also may be already present (so called background immunity). On the other hand he accuses virologists critical of the stay-at-home orders as being "irresponsible", specially the study by his colleague Dr. Hendrik Streeck. He also changed course when saying "he assumes the statistics are distorted"  referring to the government's Robert Koch Institute (RKI) high numbers of tests carried out (leading to a high number of "cases"), which is a bit hypocritical because Drosten worked closely with RKI. He initiated more serious research, he said (after the state of emergency has been declared and our freedoms are gone).
He spilled warnings of a "second wave" and at the same time he told German television: "This virus targets the respiratory system... In the face of the fact, that the disease is relatively mild, the question is: what are we so afraid of?"
Drosten developed a test for SARS-COV-2, ready to be sold at 5x the normal price in January 2020, which was quickly accepted by the World Health Organization (WHO) who sent test kits to affected regions.
Test detects SARS-like viruses that preexisted worldwide before Wuhan
Corona viruses are detected by a probability based method. Viruses mutate constantly and a window has to be defined, in which a common denominator can be found. This window has been defined in such a way that preexisting viruses were detected.  "We are currently not measuring the incidence of coronavirus diseases, but the activity of the specialists searching for them." says Dr. Wolfgang Wodarg. "Without Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) Tests there would be no reason for special alarms". Coronaviruses are anything but 'novel'.  nCoV-2019 shares 79% of its genome with SARS-CoV from 2002 and binds to the same receptors in humans. 
- World Health Summit 2020, Member of the Scientific Committee.
- PREPARE: Platform for European Preparedness Against (Re-) emerging Epidemics Principle Investigator follow-up studies
- EU RiViGene (Risk Virus Genome database, a coordination activity on highly dangerous viruses stored in European high security laboratories) (Coordinator, finished 2009) - probably related to military intelligence?
- An incomplete list of his numerous affiliations, special advice and coordinating activities in international and European bodies can be found in his english CV.
WP page of interest
|Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation||Very influential and rich foundation established to take leadership of global health.|
- "The virologist Christian Drosten guides Germany through the pandemy." https://www.zeit.de/wissen/gesundheit/2020-03/christian-drosten-coronavirus-pandemic-germany-virologist-charite/komplettansicht
- https://www.nzz.ch/international/der-virologe-hendrik-streeck-forscht-mitten-im-corona-hotspot-ld.1550667 (no reports of this study in the english commercially-controlled media?)
- Drostens test detects SARS-like viruses, that preexisted worldwide before Wuhan. „These virus-positive samples stemmed from European rhinolophid bats. Detection of these phylogenetic outliers within the SARS-related CoV clade suggests that all Asian viruses are likely to be detected.“ https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.3.2000045#html_fulltext
- https://www.worldhealthsummit.org/about-whs/leadership.html, https://web.archive.org/web/20200323093853/https://www.worldhealthsummit.org/about/leadership.html