|Alma mater||University of Sydney|
|Member of||Chinese In Britain All-Party Parliamentary Group|
UK Labour party politician
Catherine West (born 14 September 1966) is a Labour Party politician in the United Kingdom. Since the May 2015 General Election, she has been Member of Parliament (MP) for the London constituency of Hornsey and Wood Green, and is Shadow Foreign Office Minister with responsibility for Asia-Pacific.
Early life and education
Caherine West was raised in Sydney, Australia, and educated at Ravenswood School for Girls. She studied at the University of Sydney and later gained a master's degree in Chinese politics from the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.
From 2 May 2002 to 22 May 2014, West was a member of Islington London Borough Council representing the Tollington Ward. She was leader of the council's Labour group from 2004 to 10 October 2013 and Council Leader from 6 May 2010 to 10 October 2013.
She was elected Member of Parliament (MP) for Hornsey and Wood Green in the 2015 General Election.
West opposes the renewal of Trident nuclear weapon system. In September 2015, West along with Tulip Siddiq and Keir Starmer wrote a letter to British prime minister David Cameron seeking urgent action to address the refugee crisis due to the Syrian Civil War.
West is a Quaker. She is one of three Quakers who were elected at the 2015 General Election, the others being Ruth Cadbury and Tania Mathias.
|Document:A Conundrum for Corbyn||article||12 July 2016||Conrad Sumer||Trident could be Corbyn's much more collegiate equivalent of Blair’s “Clause 4” moment, instead of facing off and bullying his party, he could bring them all together under the banner of nuclear reduction - and if he gets it right, he will almost certainly be the next Prime Minister.|
- ↑ "Shadow Foreign Office Minister with responsibility for Asia-Pacific"
- ↑ http://www.bbc.com/news/politics/constituencies/E14000752
- ↑ http://www.catherinewest.org.uk/labour-cnd-conference-labour-and-trident-replacement/
- ↑ http://www.theguardian.com/local-government-network/2013/dec/12/library-cuts-volunteers-saved-camdens-libraries
- ↑ http://www.bdnews24.com/world/2015/09/05/tulip-siddiq-urges-pm-cameron-to-take-urgent-action-to-address-refugee-crisis-in-europe
- ↑ http://www.en.prothom-alo.com/international/news/78227/Tulip-seeks-action-to-end-refugee-crisis
- ↑ http://www.quaker.org.uk/news/first-quaker-mps-elected-decade/
Wikipedia is not affiliated with Wikispooks. Original page source here