| Pablo Isla |
|Alma mater||Complutense University of Madrid|
|Member of||European Round Table of Industrialists, Nestlé|
Chairman and CEO of Inditex (Zara) the largest clothes corporation in the world.
Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera (born 22 January 1964) is a Spanish businessman and a State lawyer. He is the current chairman and CEO of Inditex, a large Spanish corporation and the world's largest fashion group.
Early life and education
Isla graduated with a Law degree from the Complutense University of Madrid in 1987 being the second highest in his year. He joined the State Lawyers Corps in 1988, the 1st in his promotion.
From 1992 to 1996 Isla was Director of Legal Services for Banco Popular Español. In 1996, he left that position and became the General Manager of the General Directorate of State Assets at department of the Treasury, at a time when the state tobacco and state telephone companies (Tabacalera,Telefónica) were under it.
In 1998, he rejoined Banco Popular Español as General Secretary.
From 2000 to 2005, he was chairman of the tobacco company Altadis group. Isla was named CEO and deputy chairman of Inditex in 2005 and was named chairman of the company in 2011.
In April 2002 he was appointed independent director of Telefónica, a company of which he had already been a director representing the State in 1996.
Since 2005 he has been the CEO and vice president of Inditex, after the resignation of José María Castellano Ríos.
In 2011 he took over from the highly private Amancio Ortega, founder of the company, as Chairman of the company.
Inditex expanded from 2,692 stores in 2005, to 7,013 stores at the end of 2015 under Isla's leadership. During the same period, he is also credited with leading the company's online expansion.
On June 12, 2020, Inditex announced its plans to shut down between 1,000 and 1,200 brick-and-mortars Zara stores over the next two years and divert resources into online sales strategies.
Events Participated in
|Bilderberg/2013||6 June 2013||9 June 2013||Watford|
|The 2013 Bilderberg group meeting.|
|WEF/Annual Meeting/2017||17 January 2017||20 January 2017||World Economic Forum|
|2951 known participants|
- ↑ http://www.elmundo.es/mundodinero/2011/01/10/economia/1294676172.html
- ↑ http://quotes.wsj.com/ES/XMCE/ITX/company-people/executive-profile/93699%7C
- ↑ https://www.expansion.com/2009/05/20/empresas/industria/1242823013.html
- ↑ https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=8052744&privcapId=4392354
- ↑ a b https://www.elmundo.es/mundodinero/2011/01/10/economia/1294676172.html
- ↑ http://www.telefonica.com/en/shareholders-investors/pdf/junta/2007/perfil_consejos_ing.pdf
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20161028015122/http://www.inditex.com/our_group/board_members
- ↑ http://www.businessoffashion.com/community/people/pablo-isla-alvarez-de-tejera
- ↑ https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2016437/Zara-chairman-Amancio-Ortega-steps-down.html
- ↑ https://www.wsj.com/articles/inditex-profit-boosted-by-zara-stores-1457512394
- ↑ https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/zara-closing-over-1-000-194238845.html