|Born||Jonathan Henry Sacks|
8 March 1948
|Died||7 November 2020 (Age 72)|
|Alma mater||Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge, New College, Oxford, King's College London|
|Children|| • Joshua|
• Dina and Gila
|Spouse||Elaine Taylor Sacks|
Jonathan Henry Sacks, Baron Sacks was a British Orthodox rabbi, philosopher, theologian, author and politician who served as the Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth from 1991 to 2013. As the spiritual head of the United Synagogue, the largest synagogue body in the UK, he was the Chief Rabbi of those Orthodox synagogues, but was not recognised as the religious authority for the Haredi Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations or for the progressive movements such as Masorti, Reform and Liberal Judaism. As Chief Rabbi, Sacks formally carried the title of Av Beit Din (head) of the London Beth Din and was known as the Emeritus Chief Rabbi.
Emeritus Chief Rabbi
Since stepping down as Chief Rabbi, in addition to his international travelling and speaking engagements and prolific writing, Lord Sacks has served as the Ingeborg and Ira Rennert Global Distinguished Professor of Judaic Thought at New York University and as the Kressel and Ephrat Family University Professor of Jewish Thought at Yeshiva University. He has also been appointed as Professor of Law, Ethics and the Bible at King's College London.
Jonathan Sacks was on the religious advisory council of the Tony Blair Faith Foundation, run by the former Prime Minister and supported by money gained through his controversial work with Tony Blair Associates. Sacks also helped line up £300,000 funding from Stanley Kalms for Tim Montgomerie to establish the Renewing One Nation group within the Conservative Party, which was a research team set up to shadow Labour's Social Exclusion Unit.
Among the many tributes to Lord Sacks was this tweet from Sir Keir Starmer:
- "I want to express my condolences on the passing of former Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks.
- "He was a towering intellect whose eloquence, insights and kindness reached well beyond the Jewish community. I have no doubt that his legacy will live on for many generations."
|Document:Israel Stooges Freak Out over Baroness Jenny's Remarks - Again||Article||3 November 2018||Stuart Littlewood||Baroness Jenny Tonge: "The Pittsburgh synagogue shooting was an absolutely appalling and a criminal act, but does it ever occur to Bibi and the present Israeli government that its actions against Palestinians may be reigniting anti-Semitism? I suppose someone will say that it is anti-Semitic to say so?"|
- "Jonathan Sacks, former chief rabbi, dies aged 72"
- "Chief Rabbi joins House of Lords"
- "Lord Sacks leads tributes to Alan Senitt at moving memorial"
- "Lord Jonathan Sacks wins Templeton Prize"
- "Christian Tories rewrite party doctrine"
- "I want to express my condolences on the passing of former Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks"