Jump to navigation Jump to search
| Alan Freeman|
|Alma mater||University College London, Edinburgh University, Birkbeck College|
Alan Freeman is a Canadian economist who is co-director of the Geopolitical Economy Research Group based at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He was formerly a principal economist with the Greater London Authority.
Alan Freeman is a Visiting Professor at London Metropolitan University, and a Research Fellow of Queensland University of Technology, Australia.
Professor Freeman regularly publishes online at Ideas.
Petition on Venezuela sanctions
On 27 November 2017, Alan Freeman started an e-petition to the Government of Canada calling for the lifting of all sanctions against Venezuela:
- "On September 22, 2017, the Government of Canada imposed new sanctions against Venezuela, Venezuelan officials, and other individuals under the Special Economic Measures Act in violation of the sovereignty of Venezuela;
- "Such sanctions impede dialogue and peace-building in Venezuela and in the region more generally;
- "These sanctions impede the normal operation of Venezuela’s duly constituted political processes including elections;
- "The Government of Canada has met with, supported, and continues to echo the demands of Venezuela’s violent anti-government opposition;
- "The Government of Canada refuses to recognise the legitimacy of Venezuela’s democratically elected government and falsely refers to it as dictatorial; and
- "The Government of Canada seeks to promote foreign intervention in the internal affairs of Venezuela.
- "We, the undersigned, residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to immediately lift all sanctions against Venezuela, Venezuelan officials, and other individuals, retract all statements in support of US sanctions against Venezuela, immediately cease its support for the efforts of the US and other right wing governments in the Organisation of American States (OAS) that violate the sovereignty and self-determination of another member-state and immediately cease all intervention against Venezuela.”
Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland rejected the petition on 6 November 2018 (Sessional Paper No. 8545-421-02).
|Document:Canada Rejects Petition to Lift All Sanctions on Venezuela||Article||9 November 2018||Nino Pagliccia||While Canada chooses to speak of the “dire human rights and humanitarian crisis in Venezuela” – where there is none – it ignores, condones and rather endorses Saudi Arabia in the making of one of the worst humanitarian crisis in Yemen. That is the most vicious double standard that a “democratic” country can demonstrate.|