2021 Batley and Spen by-election
|Date||1 July 2021|
|Description||A by-election in the parliamentary constituency of Batley and Spen.|
- Christian Peoples Alliance Paul Bickerdike
- Alliance for Green Socialism Mike Davies
- Independent Jayda Fransen
- Workers Party of Britain George Galloway
- Liberal Democrats Tom Gordon
- English Democrat Thérèse Hirst
- Monster Raving Loony Howling Laud Hope
- Heritage Susan Laird
- Labour Party Kim Leadbeater
- SDP Ollie Purser
- Yorkshire Corey Robinson
- Rejoin EU Andrew Smith
- Conservative Party Ryan Stephenson
- UKIP Jack Thomson
- Freedom Alliance Jonathon Tilt
- For Britain Anne Marie Waters
Labour could lose
On 14 June 2021, The Times reported:
Labour’s support among British Muslims has fallen by a tenth under Sir Keir Starmer’s leadership, a poll reveals, amid party fears that it will lose next month’s by-election in Batley & Spen.
Starmer’s popularity lags far behind that of his party among Muslim voters after criticisms of his stance on Kashmir, Palestine and a report on Islamophobia in the party, according to poll findings seen by The Times.
The Labour leader has a favourability rating of minus 7 per cent among Muslim voters, compared with his party’s rating of 42 per cent.
Number one issue
On 14 June 2021, Aaron Bastani of Novara Media tweeted:
"Not long ago former Labour MP Anna Turley wrote that Labour must ignore issues like Palestine if it wants to win. Now everyone I speak to in Batley and Spen says it’s the number one issue (yes, really) among most Labour voters. I guess she’s a former MP for a reason."
|Document:Batley and Spen by-election: Palestine becomes potential dealbreaker||Article||18 June 2021||Alex MacDonald||According to Coral, Galloway is currently on 50/1 odds to win, compared to 2/1 for Leadbeater and 2/5 for Conservative candidate Ryan Stephenson. William Hill has the Conservatives on 1/3, Labour at 5/2 and the WPGB at 33/1.|
- "Labour’s Tracy Brabin elected first mayor of West Yorkshire"
- "Keir Starmer could cost Labour by-election, activists fear"
- "George Galloway for Batley and Spen by-election campaign launch"
- "Palestine is the number one issue"
- "George on Newsnight"
- "EXCLUSIVE: LEADBEATER’S PALESTINE PLEA LETTER IN BATLEY & SPEN"