2021 Batley and Spen by-election
|Date||1 July 2021|
|Description||A by-election in the parliamentary constituency of Batley and Spen.|
Labour candidate Kim Leadbeater, sister of murdered MP Jo Cox, was elected with 13,296 votes. Conservative candidate Ryan Stephenson came second with 12,973 votes and former Labour and Respect MP George Galloway came third with 8,264 votes.
- Christian Peoples Alliance Paul Bickerdike
- Alliance for Green Socialism Mike Davies
- Independent Jayda Fransen
- Workers Party of Britain George Galloway
- Liberal Democrats Tom Gordon
- English Democrat Thérèse Hirst
- Monster Raving Loony Howling Laud Hope
- Heritage Susan Laird
- Labour Party Kim Leadbeater
- SDP Ollie Purser
- Yorkshire Corey Robinson
- Rejoin EU Andrew Smith
- Conservative Party Ryan Stephenson
- UKIP Jack Thomson
- Freedom Alliance Jonathon Tilt
- For Britain Anne Marie Waters
Labour could lose
On 14 June 2021, The Times reported:
Labour’s support among British Muslims has fallen by a tenth under Sir Keir Starmer’s leadership, a poll reveals, amid party fears that it will lose next month’s by-election in Batley & Spen.
Starmer’s popularity lags far behind that of his party among Muslim voters after criticisms of his stance on Kashmir, Palestine and a report on Islamophobia in the party, according to poll findings seen by The Times.
The Labour leader has a favourability rating of minus 7 per cent among Muslim voters, compared with his party’s rating of 42 per cent.
Number one issue
|MOATS Episode 106 (27 June 2021)|
On 14 June 2021, Aaron Bastani of Novara Media tweeted:
"Not long ago former Labour MP Anna Turley wrote that Labour must ignore issues like Palestine if it wants to win. Now everyone I speak to in Batley and Spen says it’s the number one issue (yes, really) among most Labour voters. I guess she’s a former MP for a reason."
Episode 106 of George Galloway's Mother Of All Talk Shows accused Labour party members and journalist Paul Mason of disseminating fake photos of him carrying weapons including an AK47 rifle during the by-election campaign. Galloway said he would be taking legal action against them.
On 28 June, Galloway's poster was pulled down by Labour’s former Mayor of Kirklees, councillor Gwen Lowe and her husband.
On 30 June 2021, Inaya Folarin Iman went to Batley to cover the by-election for GB News. Labour Party MPs and activists refused to speak to them, but George Galloway did. Kim Leadbeater hasn't spoken to the media.
Labour think they have a 5% chance at winning.
|Document:Batley and Spen by-election: Palestine becomes potential dealbreaker||Article||18 June 2021||Alex MacDonald||According to Coral, Galloway is currently on 50/1 odds to win, compared to 2/1 for Leadbeater and 2/5 for Conservative candidate Ryan Stephenson. William Hill has the Conservatives on 1/3, Labour at 5/2 and the WPGB at 33/1.|
|Document:Labour has ignored its voters – it is now paying the price||Article||24 June 2021||Paddy Hannam||George Galloway speaks to Spiked Online about the problems faced by the Labour Party, and his campaign in the 2021 Batley and Spen by-election|
- "Labour’s Tracy Brabin elected first mayor of West Yorkshire"
- "Live reaction as Labour's Kim Leadbeater wins the Batley and Spen by-election by just 300 votes"
- "Keir Starmer could cost Labour by-election, activists fear"
- "Labour reshuffles top team ahead of Batley and Spen by-election"
- "George Galloway for Batley and Spen by-election campaign launch"
- "Palestine is the number one issue"
- "George on Newsnight"
- "EXCLUSIVE: LEADBEATER’S PALESTINE PLEA LETTER IN BATLEY & SPEN"
- "The Mother of All Talkshows with George Galloway - Episode 106"