| Rupert Allason |
(historian, politician, spook)
|Born||8 November 1951|
|Spouse||Nikki van Moppes|
|Member of||Le Cercle|
Rupert Allason, under the pen name 'Nigel West', has written books and articles on the subject of espionage. An attendee of Le Cercle, he was an MP for 10 years and distinguished himself as very ready to get involved in legal action.
Nigel West's website reports him as "an author specialising in security, intelligence, secret service and espionage issues".
He was voted 'The Experts' Expert' by a panel of other spy writers in The Observer in November 1989. In 1984 The Sunday Times commented: "His information is so precise that many people believe he is the unofficial historian of the secret services. West's sources are undoubtedly excellent. His books are peppered with deliberate clues to potential front-page stories."
Deep political connections
Allason has been involved in a lot of legal cases, in which he represented himself without lawyers, though he disputes that he is "litigious". Reporting on his first legal defeat (against Alastair Campbell, later Downing Street Press Secretary under Tony Blair), in 1996, the Independent summarised his 'score' as 21 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw.
In 2001 Allason sued Random House, the publishers of The Enigma Spy, the autobiography of the former Soviet agent John Cairncross. Allason claimed he had ghostwritten The Enigma Spy in return for the copyright and 50 per cent of the proceeds. However, Allason lost the case and was ordered to pay costs of around £200,000. In passing judgment the trial judge said that Allason was "a profoundly dishonest man" and "one of the most dishonest witnesses I have ever seen". In September 2005, Allason was threatened with jail for contempt of court in relation to paying the damages from the 2001 case.
Criticism of John Ainsworth-Davis
John Ainsworth-Davis's close confidante, investigative journalist Laurence de Mello reports receipt of a 2012 email by Allason that: "My connection with 'Creighton' is simply that I was employed by one of his sponsors (Milton Schulman) to investigate his claims (OpJB) and establish his true identity. I did both. He is a charlatan but I suspect he probably believes his own fantasies. Alas, I cannot account for others, such as Lady Mountbatten who, you say, have appeared to give him some credence." This seems difficult to square with the fact that Milton Schulman supported Ainsworth-Davis.
- "Former Tory MP 'profoundly dishonest'". BBC News. 16 October 2001. Retrieved 20 August 2006.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- O'Neill, Sean (16 October 2001). "Spy writer branded a liar by judge faces prosecution". The Telegraph. London: Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 11 October 2007.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Norton-Taylor, Richard (17 October 2001). "'Lying' former Tory MP faces criminal charge". The Guardian. London: Guardian News and Media. Retrieved 11 October 2007.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- McSmith, Andy; Bloomfield, Steve (4 September 2005). "Spywriter Tory may join Aitken and Archer out in the cold". London: The Independent. Retrieved 11 October 2007.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>[dead link]
- Boggan, Steve (20 April 2002). "Spy writer faces jail for refusing to reveal assets". London: The Independent. Retrieved 24 July 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>[dead link]
- "UK news in brief: Sentence for spy writer". The Guardian. London: Guardian News and Media. 3 September 2005. Retrieved 9 June 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Born on||November 8, 1951 +|
|Constitutes||Historian +, Politician + and Spook +|
|Display born on||8 November 1951 +|
|Display docType||Wikispooks Page +|
|Display image||File:Rupert Allason.jpg +|
|Display lifespan||Born 8 November 1951 +|
|Has amazon||https://www.amazon.com/Rupert-Allason/e/B001KDLSH0/ref=sr tc 2 0?qid=1499122173&sr=1-2-ent +|
|Has bilderbergCount||0 +|
|Has cercleCount||1 +|
|Has child||Tom Allason +|
|Has fullPageName||Rupert Allason +|
|Has fullPageNamee||Rupert_Allason +|
|Has image2||File:Rupert Allason.jpg +|
|Has interest||Spooks +|
|Has noRatings||0 +|
|Has objectClass||Person +|
|Has objectClass2||Person +|
|Has parent||James Allason +|
|Has powerbase||http://www.powerbase.info/index.php/Rupert Allason +|
|Has revisionSize||5,824 +|
|Has revisionUser||Robin +|
|Has spouse||Nikki van Moppes +|
|Has website||http://www.nigelwest.com +|
|Has wikipediaPage||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert Allason +|
|Has wikipediaPage2||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Allason +|
|Is not stub||true +|