| Gerard Ryle |
Gerard Ryle (born 1965) is an Irish-Australian investigative reporter who has written on subjects including politics, financial and medical scandals, and police corruption. In September 2011, he was appointed Director of the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ).
In September 2016, Gerard Ryle spoke at a hearing of the European Parliament's "Committee of Inquiry into Money Laundering, Tax Avoidance and Tax Evasion" (PANA), which was established in the wake of the Panama Papers leaks.
Gerard Ryle was born in London to Irish parents. From Tralee, Co. Kerry in Ireland, he worked for the Irish Press in his early career. His great-grandfather, Maurice P Ryle, was also a journalist who was the editor of the Kerry People and worked as editor of the Evening Herald and deputy editor of the Irish Independent.
Gerard Ryle emigrated from his native Ireland to Australia in 1988 and has worked for the Fairfax newspapers The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald. In 2007-2009, he exposed the international fraudster Tim Johnston who had deceived the governments of Australia, Britain, Russia and other countries over the Firepower Pill.
In September 2011, he was appointed Director of the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, a project of the Center for Public Integrity in Washington, D.C., USA.
In April 2013, ICIJ published a financial leak, the Offshore leaks, comprising tens of thousands of offshore bank accounts, in which many prominent international figures were implicated, including the ex-wife of Marc Rich, Azerbaijan's ruling family, the daughter of Imelda Marcos, and the late Baron Elie de Rothschild. The leak was the largest ever, at more than 160 times the size in gigabytes of the Wikileaks Cablegate in 2010. "To analyse the documents, ICIJ collaborated with reporters from The Guardian and the BBC in the U.K., Le Monde in France, Süddeutsche Zeitung and Norddeutscher Rundfunk in Germany, The Washington Post, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) and 31 other media partners around the world." The 15-month investigation began when Ryle brought ICIJ a hard drive that he received by mail from an anonymous informant.
- Firepower: The most spectacular fraud in Australian history Allen & Unwin, Sydney 2009. ISBN 978-1-74175-355-4
A Document by Gerard Ryle
|Title||Document type||Publication date||Subject(s)||Description|
|Appleby launches legal action against ICIJ’s UK partners||WikiSpooks Page||18 December 2017||Appleby|
|"This is a potentially dangerous moment for free expression in Britain" – Gerard Ryle|
- Okuyama, Toshihiro (10 May 2016). "Gerard Ryle: Focus was on politicians". The Asahi Shimbun. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "PANA Committee"
- "Irish-born journalist heads up ICIJ investigation into offshore account holders" Irish Times, 6 April 2013.
- Ryle G Rise of a man with a magic mystery pill The Sydney Morning Herald 8 January 2007
- "About the ICIJ" at International Consortium of Investigative Journalists official website
- "Tax Haven Data Leak Names Names, Raises Questions" Australian Associated Press (AAP) report at NPR, 5 April 2013. Accessed 7 April 2013
- Ryle, Gerard et al. "Secret Files Expose Offshore’s Global Impact" at ICIJ official website, 3 April 2013. Accessed 7 April 2013
- "Hearing of the Committee of Inquiry into Money Laundering, Tax Avoidance and Tax Evasion (PANA) on 'Panama papers – Discussion with the investigative journalists behind the revelations'"
- What does it take to create one of the country's most spectacular frauds? (Audio) Interview with Gerard Ryle, Australian ABC Radio National, 30 April 2009
- Gerard Ryle talking about the Panama Papers.
|Display docType||WikiSpooks Page +|
|Display image||File:Gerard_Ryle.jpg +|
|Has bilderbergCount||0 +|
|Has birthPlace||London + and UK +|
|Has cercleCount||0 +|
|Has fullPageName||Gerard Ryle +|
|Has fullPageNamee||Gerard_Ryle +|
|Has image2||File:Gerard_Ryle.jpg +|
|Has nationality||Irish Australian +|
|Has noRatings||0 +|
|Has objectClass||Person +|
|Has objectClass2||Person +|
|Has posting||Director +|
|Has revisionSize||5,247 +|
|Has revisionUser||MaintenanceBot +|
|Has twitter||RyleGerard +|
|Has wikipediaPage||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Ryle +|
|Has wikipediaPage2||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Ryle +|
|Is not stub||true +|
|Source credit||Wikipedia +|
"Has subobject" is a predefined property representing a container construct that allows to accumulate property-value assignments similar to that of a normal wiki page.
|Gerard Ryle +|