| Bruce George |
21 January 2008 in the House of Commons, London
|Born||1 June 1942|
Wales, United Kingdom
|Died||24 February 2020 (Age 77)|
|Alma mater||University of Wales, Swansea|
|Member of||Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies|
|Interests|| • “terrorism”|
Member of the Privy Council since 2001, MICC connected MP
Bruce George was Labour MP for Walsall South from 1974 to 2010. He has often acted as an election observer via the Westminster Foundation for Democracy.
He was a member of the defence Select Committee from 1979, becoming its chairman in 1997, and leaving the committee in 2005. He became a member of the Privy Council in 2001.
Although he has been an MP since 1974, and has never been on the frontbench. He is seen as a supporter of NATO and a strong military. In 2002 he was elected President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, and was re-elected in 2003. Then between 2004 and June 2006 he was President Emeritus and Special Advisor on Mediterranean Affairs. He also regularly acts an election monitor, most recently in the disputed Presidential elections in Ukraine and Georgia.
He has been married to Lisa Toelle since 1992 and is Honorary Political Advisor to The Royal British Legion. In 1981 he was a visiting lecturer at the University of Essex. He is a vice president of the Psoriasis Association.
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe – President of the Parliamentary Assembly
- International Institute for Security – delivered lecture in Nairobi paid by this group
- Henry Jackson Society – George has been instrumental in the HJS obtaining rooms in the House of Commons to present their lectures – this requires an the sponsorship of an MP.
- United Kingdom National Defence Association civilian Vice-president
- International Association of Business and Parliament, Director and President Appointed: 12/12/2005
- The Air League Appointed: 08/04/1998
- Anglo-Austrian Society Appointed: 31/10/1997 Resigned: 20/10/2000
Register of Interests
6. Overseas visits
- 19-22 March 2006, to Nairobi, at the invitation of the International Institute for Security, to make a keynote speech at a seminar that sought to promote a distance learning programme for tutors and students in the field of security. Economy class air ticket and hotel costs were paid by SecurFast. (Registered 24 March 2006)
- 1-4 October 2006, to Bucharest, to speak at a conference on "First International Security Conference: Private Security-and Public Safety" in co-operation with the Romanian Industry Security Association. My economy class flight ticket and hotel costs were paid for by the International Institute for Security. (Registered 15 December 2006)
- 21-26 November 2006, to Georgia, Caucasus, to chair a conference on "Economic Reintegration of Conflict Zones", in my capacity as Honorary President of the International Association for Business and Parliament (IABP). My economy class flight ticket and accommodation were paid for by the IABP. (Registered 15 December 2006)
- Jane's NATO Handbook Edited by Bruce George, 1990, Jane's Information Group ISBN 0-7106-0598-6
- Jane's NATO Handbook Edited by Bruce George, 1991, Jane's Information Group ISBN 0-7106-0976-0
- The British Labour Party and Defence by Bruce George, 1992, Greenwood Press ISBN 0-275-94202-3
- Worth Saving: The Story of the Staffordshire Regiment's Fight for Survival by Bruce George and Nick Ryan, 1996, Dalesman Publishing Company Ltd ISBN 1-85825-070-6
- The Nazis by Bruce George, 1997, Bounty Books ISBN 1-85152-698-6
- Private Security by Mark Button and Bruce George, 2000, Perpetuity Press Ltd ISBN 1-899287-70-1
- Profile Accessed 21 January 2008
Event Participated in
|2006 Counter Terror World Summit||5 December 2006||6 December 2006||London|
|Bunch of "counter-terrorists" who met in London 2006|
- The Hidden Truth behind the Sri Lankan Peace Process Last modified on: 2/14/2007 5:54:08 PM By Dominic Whiteman - posted on the Sri Lankan government Ministry of Defence website.