| Annie Machon |
Annie Machon at 30C3 in Hamburg in December 2013
|Alma mater||Cambridge University|
|Exposed||1994 London Israeli Embassy attack|
|Member of||Belmarsh Tribunal|
Machon quit together with fellow MI5 whistleblower David Shayler in 1996/7 to expose details of various illegal actions by the organisation. She is currently a political activist working to help other whistleblowers.
Annie Machon is a former MI5 officer who with her partner David Shayler in the 1990s drew attention to a range of illegal spy activities, including files on government ministers, illegal phone taps on journalists, IRA bombs that should have been prevented, innocent people being imprisoned, and an illegal assassination attempt against Muammar Gaddafi of Libya in 1996. As a result they went on the run around Europe in 1997, living in hiding for a year.
Annie Machon is now a public speaker, writer, media pundit, international tour and event organiser, political campaigner, and PR consultant. Commenting on allegations that Russia was engaged in influencing the 2016 United States presidential election by hacking into Democratic Party computers, Machon said:
- "One of the things the Americans need to be very aware of is that voting computers themselves, when they go and cast their vote, have demonstrably been shown to fail over many years now. They can be hacked remotely, so that when you vote for one party your vote is immediately transmuted into a vote for another party. So I think actually the Americans might have more to fear from hacking from the American establishment or whomever, than perhaps from Russia."
Annie Machon read Classics at Cambridge University and after her academic years started a career in publishing. In 1991 Machon was recruited by MI5 where she was posted to their counter-subversion department, officially known as F2. It was there she met Shayler. She then spent two years working in T Branch, investigating Irish "terrorism", before being reposted to the international counter-terrorist division, known as G Branch. In 1996 she and Shayler resigned to blow the whistle on a range of matters including:
- Secret MI5 files held on the same ministers responsible for overseeing the intelligence services.
- Illegal MI5 phone taps
- MI5 lies to government
- IRA bombs that were allowed to happen
- False convictions following the 1994 Israeli Embassy Bombing in London, when two innocent people were wrongfully convicted.
- The attempted MI6 assassination of Muammar Gaddafi of Libya, which killed several other people
Life in France
Following the controversial car crash in Paris on 31 August 1977 in which Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Fayed were killed, Dodi's father, Mohamed al-Fayed, offered a reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible. Oswald LeWinter, claiming to be a CIA officer, told al-Fayed he had CIA documents showing that MI6 had arranged the assassination at the behest of Buckingham Palace.
Diana assassination documents opinion
In November 1997, Annie Machon and David Shayler were living in a remote farmhouse in France. They were surprised to receive a call from Mohamed al-Fayed inviting them to Paris. A chauffeur-driven limousine was sent to bring the pair to Paris to inspect the documents. Machon described her reaction upon seeing the documents:
- "They looked good but if you knew what a proper MI6 document looked like, there were some simple errors: things like the date/time line; things like the addressee list; they weren't quite right. They were forgeries, very good forgeries. You know al-Fayed was asked for $20 million for these documents and would have paid if they were real. Because he was desperate to prove that there was a plot against his son and his possible future daughter-in-law. Anyway, we saw they were fakes and saved him $20 million, but also saved him embarrassment. This was a classic 'straw man' operation whereby he would have bought them, held them up to the world's media saying 'Look I've got proof'. Then the authorities would have turned round and said 'It's so obvious, look at these simple errors' and everything else he would have found out, he would have been dismissed as a fantasist. So his entire campaign for justice for his son would have stalled before it had even started."
In 2005 Machon published "Spies, Lies and Whistleblowers: MI5 and the David Shayler Affair".
Split from Shayler
In 2006, Machon ended her relationship with Shayler due to his use of hallucinogenics and his messianic claims. In 2008 she worked for Make Wars History. Machon is featured in Last Man Out, a 90-minute documentary movie by Jonathan Kerr-Smith about William Rodriguez.
Machon is now an intelligence expert, author, journalist, political campaigner, media trainer, and PR consultant. She is also a recognised international public speaker on a variety of intelligence-related and civil liberties issues.
Currently Annie Machon is serving as European Director of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) and has announced the starting of a new whistleblower protection organisation called 'Courage' at the 30C3 conference in Hamburg on 29 December 2013.
Machon made several broadcasts on Russia Today in 2013, including:
- "US looks even more like Stasi..."
- "Manning verdict..."
- "GCHQ effectively prostituting itself to NSA"
- "Courage: Advisory Board"
- "Americans should fear election hacking by US establishment, not Russia"
- "CIA threatens cyber attacks against Russia"
- "The Real Reason Why Princess Diana Was Assassinated. Ex MI Agent Testifies"
- “Spies, Lies, and Whistleblowers” — the full text of the book
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSRMasdyfak RTTV Crosstalk Dec 2010 6 December 2010
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsMQDdR0HoU RTTV News report Feb 2011;23 February 2011
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Act2AYMV3g RTTV News report 6 March 2011
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBjwEfUmRfU RTTV News report 2 March 2011
- [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G81tJI2Pls "The Four Wars: terror, whistleblowers, drugs, internet
- "Using Our Intelligence"
- http://rt.com/op-edge/nsa-gchq-mutual-assistance-976/ }
- Machon, A. (2005). Spies, Lies and Whistleblowers: MI5 and the David Shayler Affair. Book Guild Ltd. ISBN 1-85776-952-X
- "The spy who loved me"; Stuart Jeffries; The Guardian, 15 November 2002. Retrieved on 8 April 2008.
- "No place to hide"; Sabine Durrant; The Guardian, 3 April 2000. Retrieved on 8 April 2008.
- "International speaker"
- "David Shayler's former partner reveals: How the bullying State crushed him"; Annie Machon; The Daily Mail, 11 August 2007. Retrieved on 8 April 2008.
- whistleblower and his girl split up; Jason Lewis; The Daily Mail, 6 January 2007. Retrieved on 8 April 2008.
- Real News interview (first of two parts)