|Location||Asia, Pacific Ocean|
|Leader||President of Taiwan|
|Interest of||Martin Edmonds, House and Senate Taiwan Caucus|
|A large island of mainland China. De facto independent despite claiming to be the legitimate government over all of China.|
Taiwan is an island in the Pacific Ocean. Traditionally a part of China, it was controlled by Japan in the period 1895-1945, when the island saw a large scale modernization. After WW2, the island was given back to the Republic of China (Koumintang under Chiang Kai-shek. But China was in the middle of a civil war, and the communists Peoples Republic of China soon seized control over the mainland. The Republic of China evacuated to Taiwan, and has stayed there since, protected by US naval dominance.
After moving to the island, it soon became a nest for illicit activities.
- After the civil war, the Kuomintang remnant forces in the Golden Triangle soon took over and massively expanded the opium trade in the area.
- US aid during WW2 and the civil war was siphoned off by KMT leaders, creating gigantic fortunes.
- The CIA station in Taipei became one of the Agency's biggest and most imporant bases in Asia, supporting drug smuggling networks, with front organizations like the CAT and Air America airlines based on the island.
- The island was a safe haven for South-East Asian organized crime, especially for laundering money and gold.
- The ROC was the main sponsor of the World Anti-Communist League, an extreme right wing umbrella organization. The WACL was allowed military training on the island.
- The China lobby in the US was (and still is) an extremely strong political network furthering ROC interests, only comparable in strength to the Israel lobby. People like Henry Luce and Clare Booth Luce strongly dominated the public discourse on China matters.
|A Group Headquartered Here|
|Document:Integrity Initiative Weekly Report 16th to 22nd July 2018||report||22 July 2018||Euan Grant||input into media documentaries and fictional entertainment, including specific topics|
|This is a page stub. Please add to it.|