National Constitutional Committee
|National Constitutional Committee|
Left slate "wins huge victory" on NCC
Labour’s National Constitutional Committee (NCC) is the party’s ultimate disciplinary body, with the power to expel members referred to it by the National Executive Committee (NEC) without right of appeal except for recourse to legal action.
Left slate Chair
On 13 December 2018, Anna Dyer was re-elected unopposed as Chair of the NCC, Labour’s senior disciplinary body – news which will delight Labour members eager to see the quasi-judicial group run in a more thorough fashion than was the case under the previous Labour administration.
Glasgow-based union activist Ms Dyer, who was elected to the NCC at last year’s annual conference on the left slate, was voted in as interim Chair in September, replacing Maggie Cosin the Labour First-aligned, right-wing incumbent. Cosin, considered an ally of Labour First MP John Spellar, has been described by Momentum founder Jon Lansman as a ‘witchfinder general’ and appointed herself to the vast majority of three-member panels deciding high-profile disciplinary cases such as that of Marc Wadsworth, who was expelled from the party in 2018 and has launched legal action.
- "I took that action because there were some terrible practices and behaviour going on in those days that did a lot of damage to vulnerable individuals and to the party’s reputation. It was never about money and no financial settlement was involved, but things needed to improve and they did."
After years of suspending her membership due to false allegations of anti-Semitism, the Labour Party has finally set a hearing date for Jackie Walker, who will face an NCC tribunal on 26 March 2019. Walker says:
- “I’m so pleased to have a date for my hearing. Whatever the outcome, it’s been amazing to be part of an anti-racist, anti-Zionist left that has refused to be silenced by what has been the worst political witch hunt of our generation.”
|Document:Labour expulsion hearing set for anti-Zionist Jackie Walker||Article||5 February 2019||Asa Winstanley||WitchHunt documentary: “We are determined to get it out whatever the threats,” Jackie Walker vows|
- "Independent-minded left Dyer replaces Labour First’s Cosin as Labour’s NCC chair"
- "Left slate wins huge victory in race for key Labour disciplinary committee"
- "Dyer re-elected NCC chair unopposed"
- Document:Labour expulsion hearing set for anti-Zionist Jackie Walker
- "Solidarity with Chris Williamson MP"