Jump to navigation Jump to search
| John Cantlie |
|Born||John Henry Cantlie|
John Cantlie was kidnapped in Syria with James Foley in November 2012. He had previously been kidnapped in Syria alongside Dutch photographer Jeroen Oerlemans in July 2012 but was rescued a week later.
A Home Office spokesperson said:
- "We do not discuss individual kidnap cases and speculation is unhelpful."
|Max Blumenthal||“The White Helmets are known around the world for rescuing civilians in Syria. But the recent death of its founder, James Le Mesurier, and an unfolding cover-up at the OPCW of an apparently staged chemical weapons incident, has shed new light on the group’s shadowy role in the Syria proxy war. We speak to The Grayzone’s Max Blumenthal, whose reporting has exposed the White Helmets’ ties to jihadists groups and its use as a PR tool for Western military intervention in Syria. Blumenthal explains that the White Helmets group (originally known as ARK<a href="#cite_note-5"></a>) was founded and trained in Turkey and financed by UK, US, Qatar and Saudi Arabia. In Operation Timber Sycamore, and in conjunction with Al-Qaeda and ISIS, the White Helmets were tasked with carrying out regime change ("transition") in Syria and then occupying the country ("stabilisation"). Many slick videos of the work of the White Helmets were produced and in one they are described by British journalist John Cantlie as the Islamic State Fire Brigade.”||Max Blumenthal|
- "British hostage John Cantlie seen in IS video"
- "British journalist John Cantlie appears in new Isis video"
- "British hostage John Cantlie, seized by Islamic State with James Foley, appears in new video"
- "John Cantlie: Islamic State hostage in fresh video"
- "John Cantlie, a British Journalist Held Hostage by ISIS, Is Believed to Be Still Alive"
- "John Cantlie: British IS hostage 'believed to be still alive'"
- "British Isis hostage John Cantlie still alive, UK government says"