| Hervé Falciani |
(Whistleblower, Systems engineer)
|Born||Hervé Daniel Marcel Falciani|
9 January 1972
Monte Carlo, Monaco
|Alma mater||Sophia Antipolis|
Whistleblower who is behind "the biggest banking leak in history".
Hervé Falciani is a Franco-Italian systems engineer and whistleblower who is behind "the biggest banking leak in history." In 2008, Falciani began collaborating with numerous European nations by providing allegedly illegal stolen information relating to more than 130,000 suspected tax evaders with Swiss bank accounts specifically those with accounts in HSBC's Swiss subsidiary HSBC Private Bank.
Falciani is the person behind the Lagarde list, a list of HSBC clients who allegedly used the bank to evade taxes and launder money that Falciani leaked to ex-French Minister of Finance Christine Lagarde, currently the managing director of the International Monetary Fund. Lagarde, in turn, sent the list to governments whose citizens were on the list.
On 11 December 2014, Falciani was indicted in absentia by the Swiss federal government for violating the country's bank secrecy laws and for industrial espionage. The indictment accused Falciani of stealing information from HSBC's Geneva offices and passing it on to tax authorities in France. HSBC had been indicted in France for money laundering in November 2014. In November 2015, Switzerland’s federal court sentenced Falcini to five years in prison - the "longest sentence ever demanded by the confederation’s public ministry in a case of banking data theft". Falciani was accused of "aggravated financial espionage, data theft and violation of commercial and banking secrecy".
There could be more deep politics to the story - for example cracking the Swiss banking system - and Falciani is just a front man for other interests.
- Brigitte Alepin Bill Gates, Pay Your Fair Share of Taxes...Like We Do! - 2012 p. 66 "The HSBC-2010 and Liechtenstein-2008 affairs are examples. In the HSBC-2010 affair, Hervé Falciani, a former bank executive with HSBC in Geneva, was arrested by the Swiss police on suspicion of data smuggling. He took refuge in France ..."
- Spudorati by Mario Giordano
- El Estado del mundo 2011 (State of the World 2011) Bertrand Badie, Dominique Vidal - 2011 p. 526 " ... cuentas suizas sospechosas, casi todas ellas proporcionadas por un ex empleado francés de la filial suiza del banco americano HSBC, Hervé Falciani. Se ofrecieron varias listas de clientes de bancos suizos a diferentes Länderalemanes. A mediados de marzo de 2010 el Ministerio Fiscal de ..."
- L'express international 3053-3069 p. 51 2010 "L'ovale gracieux de son visage masque une détermination d'acier. Aux yeux de la justice suisse, qui l'a entendue les 9 et 10 mars, Georgina Mikhael fait figure de complice d'Hervé Falciani, l'ex-informaticien de HSBC Private ..."
- Le Figaro Magazine 1528-1531 (2010) p. 22 "Visiblement, l'exemple d'Hervé Falciani a fait tache d'huile. Cet ancien cadre de la banque HSBC a transmis cet été au fisc français une liste de 3 500 noms de personnes soupçonnées d'évasion fiscale vers la Suisse."
- http://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/nov/27/hsbc-whistleblower-jailed-five-years-herve-falciani?CMP=twt_gu |