Georgetown Leadership Seminar
The Georgetown Leadership Seminar (GLS) is an annual gathering of selected rising leaders from around the world for a week of intensive discussion on major international issues. The program was established in 1982 by Georgetown University in order to "promote dialogue among individuals who would shape the futures of their countries."
GLS attracts individuals from government, corporations, law firms, financial institutions, the military, international organizations, NGOs, the media, universities, think tanks, and elsewhere who occupy positions of influence and have the potential to move up to greater leadership roles. The selected participants are then exposed to the major global issues and the Washington foreign policy-making process through direct contact with top level policy makers and experts.
The program is derived from Harvard’s “international seminar” conducted by Henry Kissinger in the 1950s and 1960s. The GLS is now administered by the Institute for the Study of Diplomacy at the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown. Original committee members included Zbigniew Brzezinski, Madeleine Albright, Henry Kissinger, and Peter F. Krogh.
GLS has over 800 alumni from more than 100 countries, including presidents, prime ministers, cabinet secretaries, generals, ambassadors, and CEOs:
See year by year.
Since 1982, the GLS has attracted a variety of speakers who have served in important policy-making and business roles:
- Madeleine Albright - U.S. Secretary of State in the Clinton Administration
- Senator Chuck Hagel - Former Senator of Nebraska and U.S. Secretary of Defense
- Andrew Natsios - Former Administrator of USAID
- Alice Rivlin - Former Vice Chairman of the Federal Reserve
- Paul Begala - American political commentator
- Chester Crocker – Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs
- Peter Krogh - Dean of the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University
- Robert Gallucci - Dean of the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University; President of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
- Carol Lancaster - Dean of the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University
- Shashi Tharoor – United Nations Under-Secretary General and Member of Parliament of India
- John DeGioia - President of Georgetown University
- Paul Erdman - Financial Writer and Scholar
- Francois Bourguignon - Chief Economist of the World Bank
- Mitchell Reiss – Special Envoy to Northern Ireland
- Charles Cook - American political analyst
- Victor Cha - Director for Asian Affairs at the National Security Council and Georgetown University professor
- George Tenet - Director of the CIA
- Thomas Pickering – US Ambassador to the United Nations
All 4 of the members already have pages here:
|Madeleine Albright||Ruthless politician, acquired and beloved by everyone named Clinton in the 1990s. Hero of Kosovo. Most powerful woman of all time according to ISGP's superclass index. When asked about half a million dead Iraqi children because of the sanctions she enforced, she replied "We think the price is worth it."|
|Zbigniew Brzezinski||A central US Deep politician, Cercle, Bilderberg, ...|
|Henry Kissinger||US deep politician, 40+ Bilderbergs, Nobel peace prize, war criminal|
|Peter Krogh||Dean of the Walsh School of Foreign Service of Georgetown University for 25 years.|