| Emil Czeczko|
|Died||17 March 2022|
Cause of death
|Victim of||Premature death|
Young Polish soldier who defected to Belarus and said he and his comrades were forced to shoot migrants.
Emil Czeczko was a Polish soldier who defected to Belarus from the 11th Mazurian Artillery Regiment, amidst the 2021/2022 border stand off between the two countries. He was found dead on 17th March 2022.
Mid December 2021 the Belorussian news agency BelTA started to report that a Polish soldier ran from his force and asked for refuge in Belarus. He related a story that he and his comrades were made drunk and forced to shoot migrants and volunteers that intended to help them on Polish territory.
At the same time Polish media related stories how Czeczko was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol and marijuana, and was convicted for bullying his mother; which would be reasons why he would have been recruited for this among other soldiers.
BelteleradioCompany (and others) reported that according to Czeczko, 200 to 700 people could have been killed on the Polish border with the direct involvement of him in some. From June 8 to 19, he had to shoot groups of refugees of 20 people each, on the behest of people with ID's from Polish military counterintelligence.
Alyaksander Lukashenko, in a video released on 22. December 2021, said that intelligence personnel were posing as regular border defense troops and forced them to kill people in the forest, in order to get these soldiers used to it. He remarks:
Most likely they have trained the soldiers to kill people in another country.
|Document:Alyaksander Lukashenko on Polish Border Forces and Emil Czeczko||Statement||22 December 2021||Alyaksander Lukashenko|
- https://english.pravda.ru/news/world/149907-poland_migrants_belarus/ saved at Archive.org
- https://www.perild.com/2021/12/17/polish-soldier-fled-to-belarus-media/ saved at Archive.org saved at Archive.is
- https://www.workers.org/2022/01/60894/ saved at Archive.org saved at Archive.is
- https://eng.belta.by/society/view/polish-defector-polish-border-guardsmen-killed-volunteers-at-the-border-146360-2021/ saved at Archive.org saved at Archive.is
- https://eng.belta.by/society/view/emil-czeczko-applies-to-human-rights-lawyers-seeks-refugee-status-146408-2021/ saved at Archive.org saved at Archive.is
- short clip of the full interview, with German subtitles only - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3reQRYyBGk
- full interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAJMe9PcwMU
- https://belsat.eu/en/news/30-12-2021-polish-court-upholds-conviction-of-deserter-emil-czeczko/ saved at Archive.org saved at Archive.is
- https://web.archive.org/web/20220211142112/https://www.tvr.by/eng/news/obshchestvo/emil_chechko_segodnya_vo_vremya_press_konferentsii_nazval_souchastnikov_ubiystv_a_takzhe_nazval_otve/ saved at Archive.is
- subtitles in German only - Лукашенко: Отбирали из армии людей, бросали на границу и заставляли убивать!