Clacton Constituency Labour Party
The Clacton Constituency Labour Party (CLP) has a membership approaching 400, over half of whom joined following the election of Jeremy Corbyn as Leader of the Labour Party in 2015. Seventy members attended an All Members Meeting (AAM) on 11 August 2016 when a vote was taken on which candidate to nominate for the leadership of the Labour Party:
- 48 (69.57%) nominated Jeremy Corbyn for re-election and 21 (30.43%) nominated Owen Smith (one spoilt ballot).
The result of the 2016 leadership election was announced at a special conference on 24 September 2016:
- Total votes: Jeremy Corbyn 313,209 (61.80%), Owen Smith 193,229 (38.20%).
2019 General Election
On 8 November 2019, Clacton CLP wrote on its Facebook page:
- Today a new Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Clacton Labour Party was selected.
- Our new candidate Kevin Bonavia has a wealth of experience that will be of huge value to the residents of Clacton. Kevin is currently a Labour councillor for Blackheath.
- We are looking forward to working with Kevin to bring about positive change for the residents of Clacton in areas of social care, education and welfare.