|Born||Dennis Edward Skinner|
11 February 1932
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
|Alma mater||Ruskin College (Oxford), University of Sheffield|
Dennis Skinner is a British Labour Party politician who was Member of Parliament (MP) for Bolsover from 1970 to 2019. Known for his left-wing views and acerbic wit, he belonged to the Socialist Campaign Group of Labour MPs.
Labour’s Dennis Skinner responded to the Prime Minister’s comments by referring to him as Dodgy Dave:
- "Does the Prime Minister recall that at the time after he became Prime Minister under the coalition, at the time that he was dividing the nation between strivers and scroungers, I asked him a very important question about the windfall he received when he wrote off the mortgage on the premises in Notting Hill?
- "And I said to him he didn't write off the mortgage of the one the taxpayers were helping to pay for at Oxford. I didn't receive a proper answer then. Maybe Dodgy Dave will answer it now. And by the way..."
Speaker John Bercow asked the Bolsover MP to “think of another” word to describe Cameron. The 84-year-old replied, pointing at the Prime Minister:
- "This man has done more to divide this nation than anybody else. He’s looked after his own pocket. I still refer to him as Dodgy Dave. Do what you like."
After refusing to withdraw this remark, Skinner was told to leave the chamber for the remainder of the day.
Calling for Blair's head
- I had a conversation on exactly this point with veteran Labour firebrand Dennis Skinner. He answered in one word ‘Iraq’. The Skinner line is that the coup was timed to avoid Corbyn calling for Blair’s head next Wednesday from the despatch box.
- Indeed many would say that when Corbyn stated that he would be prepared to see a former Labour Prime Minister tried for war crimes then he sealed his fate as leader of the Labour party.
Views on HS2
|Dennis Skinner on HS2|
The Beast of Bolsover at his best:
- "Corbynistas and rebels make NEC gains as Skinner steps down"
- "This 84-year-old MP just got kicked out of parliament for insulting Cameron, here’s why" (VIDEO)
- "Dennis Skinner thrown out of House of Commons for refusing to withdraw 'Dodgy Dave' jibe"
- "Tony Blair may escape an international trial, but he’s facing a mutiny at home"
- "HS2: Dennis Skinner, Do I want to get to London 30 minutes quicker?"