| Arron Banks |
|Born||Arron Fraser Andrew Banks|
British businessman and political donor
Arron Banks is a British businessman and political donor. He is the co-founder (with Richard Tice) of the Leave.EU campaign. Banks was previously one of the largest donors to the UK Independence Party (UKIP) and bankrolled Nigel Farage’s campaign to leave the EU.
A UK parliamentary committee report concluded:
- "Arron Banks is believed to have donated £8.4m to the Leave campaign, the largest political donation in British politics, but it is unclear from where he obtained that amount of money"; "He failed to satisfy us that his own donations had, in fact, come from sources within the UK."
Banks has stated that the money he donated to the Leave.EU campaign was legitimate and came from his UK insurance businesses. He has been reported to have had multiple meetings with Russian embassy officials as well as offered business opportunities in Russia in the run-up to the Brexit referendum. He has denied any wrongdoing and said:
- "There was no Russian money and no interference of any type."
Banks reportedly pressed the UKIP NEC several times to influence the election of party leadership in exchange for continuing donations. He claimed he was suspended from UKIP in March 2017, but UKIP said his membership had "lapsed earlier in the year".
|Document:Beware the Cult of Cadwalladr||blog post||22 January 2022||Craig Murray||The present libel trial between Arron Banks and Carole Cadwalladr is therefore a struggle between two deeply unpleasant people. Cadwalladr’s lies, in my view, are political and still come within the realm of free speech. I support her right to say it, just as I support my right to denounce and expose her as an utterly unprincipled and fraudulent tool of the security services.|
|Document:The Real Reason Theresa May’s Brexit Has Failed||Article||2 March 2019||T. J. Coles||So, the choice faced by ordinary British people is between a neoliberal EU supported by millionaires like Kenneth Clarke or an ultra-neoliberal Brexit supported by multimillionaires like Jacob Rees-Mogg. Meanwhile, ordinary working-class people pay the price for these elite games, as usual.|
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/10/arron-banks-self-styled-bad-boy-and-bankroller-of-brexit
- ↑ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11717415/Millionaire-Jim-Mellon-backs-20million-anti-politics-campaign-to-leave-EU-as-name-revealed.html
- ↑ https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/digital-culture-media-and-sport-committee/news/arron-banks-nca-quote-17-19/
- ↑ "Arron Banks 'dropped from BBC's Question Time panel'"
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jul/08/arron-banks-met-russian-ambassador-11-times-lucrative-deals
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/16/leave-eu-russia-arron-banks-andy-wigmore
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/16/arron-banks-nigel-farage-leave-brexit-russia-connection
- ↑ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46089236
- ↑ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/14/ukip-suspends-donor-aaron-banks-party/
Wikipedia is not affiliated with Wikispooks. Original page source here