| Andy Pryce|
Presenting at the European Endowment for Democracy on 5 March 2018.
|Member of||Integrity Initiative, Integrity Initiative/Cluster/UK/Inner Core|
Head of 'Counter Disinformation and Media Development' at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London
Andy Pryce is head of 'Counter Disinformation and Media Development' at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London.
- 1 Activities
- 2 Affiliations
- 3 Resources
- 4 A Document by Andy Pryce
- 5 Events Participated in
- 6 References
Skripal affair propaganda - April 2018
- In the five weeks since the attempted assassination of ex-spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia, Moscow has been pushing out conspiracy theories. Whitehall sources say two in every three stories shared on social media are from media outlets backed by the Kremlin – and are designed to deflect attention from accusations that it is responsible for the Salisbury attack... The fact that British ministers have to remain tight-lipped while the painstaking probe by police, intelligence services and Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons laboratories takes place, has left a vacuum, which is being filled by Russia.
- Of 21 Russian theories, the most outlandish include: Ukraine did it to frame Russia; Britain did it to deflect from negative attention over Brexit to the claim that it was an attempted suicide by Skripal himself.
- Until a fortnight ago, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office seemed content simply to post statements rebutting the most outrageous claims. But the last fortnight has seen a series of mini-videos, which, sources say, “mark a departure” from the norm. They are said to be the brainchild of Andy Pryce, the FO’s head of counter-disinformation and media development.
- One video, poses six questions that Vladimir Putin’s Russia has so far failed to answer. These include: “Is Russia committed to an international rules-based system as a P5 member [a nuclear power]”; “Why hasn’t Russia declared its Novichok programme to the chemical weapons convention as it’s legally obliged to?”; “Why does Russia persistently cover up the use of chemical weapons in Assad’s brutal regime in Syria?”
- Another was captioned; “This is how the Russian state is spreading disinformation following the Salisbury attack. We know the tactics they use but they don’t change the facts.” The clip urges viewers to “think critically” and examine the facts, such as Britain’s decision to use the independent OPCW to verify UK claims that Russia supplied the nerve agent.
Disinformation - the playbook and how to fight it: 2018 Brussels DisinfoLab - 11 April 2018
- Full article: 2018 Brussels DisinfoLab
- Full article: 2018 Brussels DisinfoLab
European Parliament Schuman Trainees Committee - Luxembourg - 12 April 2018
Pryce spoke on a panel at "Disinformation - the playbook and how to fight it” in Luxembourg on 12 April 2018. According to a Facebook post: 'The difference between fake news and disinformation, the Kremlin’s toolkit and the best way to counter it were the highlights of the event. Two panel discussions yesterday addressed these challenging issues. Featuring Peter Pomeranzev (senior visiting fellow, LSE), Ida Eklund-Lindwall (EU East Task Force, European External Action Service), Guillaum Chaslot (founder of Algo Transparency), Alina Polyakova (fellow, The Brookings Institution), MEP Michal Boni, Andy Pryce (Head of Counter Disinformation, Foreign and Commonwealth Office) and Daniel Fried (Atlantic Council Ambassador).'
- What Do They Know Head of Counter Disinformation Mike Robinson made this Freedom of Information request to Foreign and Commonwealth Office. 9 april 2018.
A Document by Andy Pryce
|Title||Document type||Publication date||Subject(s)||Description|
|Document:FCO Disinformation update: Salisbury and Syria||review||26 December 2018||"Russian Propaganda"|
|UK Foreign Office email, presumably to trusted pro-government journalists, with information as 'background for your own work'. Cliff notes on Douma, Skripal etc.|
Events Participated in
|2018 Brussels DisinfoLab||11 April 2018 08:30:00||11 April 2018 13:30:00||Belgium|
|A 2018 conference set up jointly by the EU Disinfolab and the Atlantic Council|
|Democracy and Propaganda - Can independent media defend universal values?||12 September 2017||13 September 2017||An EED "fake news" conference in Ukraine|
- UK using graphic videos in war of words with Putin THE Foreign Office is using sophisticated graphic videos in a counter-strike against Russian propaganda. Daily Express, PUBLISHED: 00:01, Sun, Apr 8, 2018 | UPDATED: 10:16, Sun, Apr 8, 2018.
- Euractiv Disinformation - the playbook and how to fight it: 2018 Brussels DisinfoLab, accessed 27 November 2018.
- Schuman Trainees Committee - STC added 3 new photos. 12 April · Luxembourg, Luxembourg.
- Integrity Initiative UK Cluster Uploaded by Anonymous Europe on Nov 02, 2018.