2021 Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election
|Date||2 December 2021|
On a 33.5% turnout, the Conservative Party candidate Louie French was elected with 11,189 votes (51.5%) – a majority of 4,478 over Labour's Daniel Francis, who came second with 6,711 votes (30.9%). Richard Tice of Reform UK came third with 1,432 votes (6.6%). The remaining eight candidates lost their deposit.
When nominations closed on 9 November 2021, it was announced that there were 11 candidates standing in the 2021 Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election:
Christian Peoples Alliance
On 27 October 2021, it was reported that the Labour candidate would be chosen from an NEC-approved shortlist of four, all from London but only one of whom is from Bexley Borough. This process ignored a rule change made at conference, giving the local CLP more power over candidate selection. On 28 October 2021, Labour announced its candidate as Daniel Francis, a councillor for Belvedere, who was the Leader of the Labour Group on Bexley Council from 2017–2021.
Official Monster Raving Loony Party
On 29 October 2021, Reform UK announced that their leader Richard Tice would be their candidate. On 4 November Richard Tice claimed the Tories are "clearly worried" ahead of the upcoming by-election contest in Old Bexley and Sidcup.
On 2 December 2021, the Rejoin EU Party tweeted:"Don't waste your vote in #OldBexleyandSidcupbyelection when you can't change the result. Use it to send a message that you want to #RejoinEU and vote for @RichardHewison."
On 1 December 2021, Lewis Goodall tweeted:
- Reminder of the 11 candidates in Old Bexley and Sidcup - a seat which has been Conservative (in its various iterations) since 1950.
- "Notice of UK Parliamentary By Election – Old Bexley & Sidcup"
- "Old Bexley and Sidcup: Tories hold safe London seat at by-election"
- "Statement of persons nominated in the 2021 Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election"
- "Tories select councillor Louie French for Old Bexley and Sidcup byelection"
- "Revealed: Labour shortlist of candidates for Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election"
- "Delegates voted to transform selections. Why is the rule change being ignored?"
- "Daniel Francis selected as Labour candidate for Old Bexley and Sidcup"
- "Labour selects candidate for Old Bexley & Sidcup By-Election"
- "I'll land a by-election blow to Johnson's nanny state"
- "'Tories clearly worried!' Reform leader exposes Conservative concerns ahead of by-election"
- "Send a message that you want to #RejoinEU and vote for Richard Hewison"