| War propaganda |
War propaganda is used by nation states to justify their own engagement in a war and to uphold morale and support for the war throughout. It can continue afterwards when certain narratives that have been constructed are important to the power-structures that are the victors. A Casus belli has historically been used to justify one's own entry into it (see Patrick Clawsons remarks at a QA of the Washington Institute in 2012).
Slate wrote in 2005 during the 2nd Iraq war:
A calculated and systematic effort to manage public opinion, it transcends mere lying and routine political dishonesty. When the Bush administration manufactures fake “news,” suppresses real news, disguises the former as the latter, and challenges the legitimacy of the independent press, it corrodes trust in leaders, institutions, and, to the rest of the world, the United States as a whole.
The Basic Principles of War Propaganda
Anne Morelli summarized and systematized the contents of Arthur Ponsonby's classic on war propaganda in "ten commandments of propaganda":
- We do not want war.
- The enemy alone is to be blamed for the war.
- The enemy is inherently evil, resembling the devil.
- We defend a noble cause, not our own interest.
- The enemy commits atrocities on purpose; our mishaps are involuntary.
- The enemy uses illegal weapons.
- We suffer small losses, those of the enemy are enormous.
- Artists and intellectuals back our cause.
- Our cause is holy, it has a sacred character.
- Whoever doubts our propaganda, is a traitor.
|'A Gay Girl In Damascus'||A false media personality to create a mood in Western liberal opinion for regime change in Syria|
|Casus belli||A pretext for war, typically a false flag attack|
|Operation Horseshoe||war propaganda fake news from 1999|
|Operation Mass Appeal||An effort by MI6 to facilitate the UK's invasion of Iraq.|
|The rescue of Jessica Lynch||Special forces rescue operation that was not actually necessary, but initiated to bring some uplifting news from Iraq.|
|Wonder Woman||Superhero movie that came out the same year Hillary Clinton was supposed to become president and invade Syria.|
- ↑ Patrick Clawson Responds to Questions, Full Video - 9/21/2012
- ↑ https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2005/12/the-propaganda-presidency-of-george-w-bush.html saved at Archive.org saved at Archive.is
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Morelli
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Basic_Principles_of_War_Propaganda