| Richard Alderman|
(lawyer, deep state functionary)
Criticised for irregularities during his time as director of The UK Serious Fraud Office. Alleged irregularities include £1m of unauthorised payoffs to colleagues
Richard Alderman is a former SFO director, a tenure which was widely criticised. The Telegraph reported that the SFO "was run in a 'slovenly, sloppy' manner" and that he took 52 days foreign travel in a year and sanctioned £1m of unauthorised payoffs to colleagues.
Andrew Feinstein described him as a man whose "long career in the deeper reaches of the British bureaucracy made him a safe pair of hands".
Before the SFO, he was a senior investigator at HM Revenue and Customs in charge of specialised tax inquiries.
In 2010 Alderman met the head of the World Bank's anti-corruption unit, Leonard McCarthy, "to discuss strengthening co-operation between the two agencies."
In a letter to Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, Emily Thornberry wrote:
- "I fear that Richard Alderman's conduct with regard to severance packages and ex-gratia payments to senior staff may amount to an offence of Misconduct in Public Office. I would be very grateful for any assistance that you can offer in investigating this deeply troubling matter.’"
Payoffs to colleagues
In March 2013, The Telegraph began a report by stating that "Before a brutal grilling by MPs on the Public Accounts Committee, Richard Alderman was forced to admit he had not obtained written approval for nearly £1m of severance payments to three departing colleagues." They quoted Emily Thornberry as saying that "A financial irregularity on this scale is an affront to the standing of the SFO, which is supposed to be the nation’s flagship fraud and corruption watchdog."
Slaughter and May hired Alderman as a senior consultant, a group with which he had dealings when he lead the SFO.
- ↑ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financial-crime/9916461/Ex-SFO-chief-Richard-Alderman-attacked-over-shocking-stewardship.html
- ↑ The Shadow World
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/business/2009/oct/01/richard-alderman-sfo-profile
- ↑ "Serious Fraud Office promises crackdown on firms offering bribes abroad"
- ↑ "Police called in to investigate fraud boss's taxpayer-funded payoffs to his staff worth £1MILLION"
- ↑ "SFO's ex-chief Richard Alderman ran a circus, say MPs"
- ↑ https://lawyerfirmnews.com/2018/09/11/slaughters-finally-seals-hire-of-former-sfo-director-david-green-qc/