|Date||August 20, 1951 - April 13, 1953|
|Description||An investigation into interrogation methods using drugs and other methods:- "Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self-preservation?"|
Project ARTICHOKE (also referred to as Operation ARTICHOKE) was a CIA project that researched interrogation methods and arose from Project BLUEBIRD on August 20, 1951, run by the CIA Office of Scientific Intelligence.  A memorandum by Richard Helms to CIA director Allen Dulles indicated Artichoke became Project MKULTRA on April 13, 1953. 
The project studied hypnosis, forced morphine addiction (and subsequent forced withdrawal), and the use of other drugs, among other methods, to produce amnesia and other vulnerable states in subjects.
ARTICHOKE was an offensive program of mind control that gathered together the intelligence divisions of the US Army, US Navy, US Air Force and the FBI. In addition, the scope of the project was outlined in a memo dated January 1952 that stated, "Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self-preservation?"     
- Science, Technology and the CIA
- Church Committee; p. 390 "MKULTRA was approved by the DCI [Director of Central Intelligence] on April 13, 1953"
- Estabrooks, G.H. Hypnosis comes of age. Science Digest, 44-50, April 1971
- Gillmor, D. I Swear By Apollo. Dr. Ewan Cameron and the CIA-Brainwashing Experiments. Montreal: Eden press, 1987.
- Scheflin, A.W., & Opton, E.M. The Mind manipulators. New York: Paddington Press, 1978.
- Thomas, G. Journey into Madness. The Secret Story of Secret CIA Mind Control and Medical Abuse. New York: Bantam, 1989 (paperback 1990).
- Weinstein, H. Psychiatry and the CIA: Victims of Mind Control. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, 1990.
- ISBN 0330375482 . The Men Who Stare At Goats. Ronson, Jon - Simon and Schuster, 2004.
|This is a page stub. Please add to it.|
|Display date||20 August 1951 - 13 April 1953 +|
|Display docType||WikiSpooks Page +|
|Display image||File:Project ARTICHOKE.jpg +|
|End||13 April 1953 +|
|Has fullPageName||Project ARTICHOKE +|
|Has fullPageNamee||Project_ARTICHOKE +|
|Has image2||File:Project ARTICHOKE.jpg +|
|Has interest||Mind control +|
|Has noRatings||0 +|
|Has objectClass||Event +|
|Has objectClass2||Event +|
|Has perpetrator||CIA +|
|Has revisionSize||2,883 +|
|Has revisionUser||Robin +|
|Has wikipediaPage||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_ARTICHOKE +|
|Has wikipediaPage2||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_ARTICHOKE +|
|Is stub||true +|
|Start||20 August 1951 +|