| Marmara University |
|A leading institution of higher education in Turkey for 124 years|
Marmara University with more than 3000 distinguished faculty members and a student body reaching 60.000 is on several campuses scattered throughout the cosmopolitan city of Istanbul. It has been one of the leading institutions of higher education in Turkey for 124 years. The university promoted itself rapidly to international stature together with the faculties of Engineering, Medicine and Dentistry where the media of instruction are Turkish and English. The university includes the Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, which provides education in five languages: Turkish, English, French, Arabic, and German, thus making Marmara University the only “multilingual” university in Turkey. Having a remarkable success especially in the areas of Medicine, Law and Fine Arts, the faculty members and the students compete in their participation and dedication to academic work to enhance the education quality and the effective implementation of scientific studies in Marmara University.
Marmara University provides up-to-date contemporary education, fulfilling the requirements of today's modern society with the guidance of the norms of enlightenment and prepares students for the future through participatory democratic administration in accordance with the principles set by the constitution of Turkey. In pursuit of these goals, 2839 faculty members are employed, including 558 professors, 234 associate professors, 569 assistant professors, 237 lecturers, 987 research assistants, 172 instructors, 78 specialists, and 3 translators, 1 education planner along with 1354 administrative personnel. 500 faculty members are teaching at other universities, thus sharing their knowledge and experience of Marmara tradition.
Marmara University has 57,000 students, of whom 44,661 are undergraduate students and 7,406 graduate students. A total of 1,354 foreign students from 73 countries are studying at the institution. Female students constitute 54% of the total population.
- Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Turkish President, graduated from the Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences.
- Aydın Doğan, Turkish businessman and industrialist in 1960
- Nihat Ergün, Turkish minister of Industry and Commerce since May 2009
- Kemal Sunal, Turkish actor known particularly for his role in film comedies, graduated with a master's degree from the Television Studies Department of Marmara University's Institute of Social Sciences
- Ismail Acar, Turkish artist
- Betül Kaçar, Turkish astrobiologist
- Nazlı Tolga, Turkish journalist
- Nesrin Nas, Turkish academic, politician and the former leader of the Motherland Party
- Ali Kurumahmut, former Member of the Turkish Council of State
- Sevil Sabancı, member of the Sabancı family in third generation, a Turkish businesswoman
- Setenay Özbek, Turkish writer, artist and documentary maker
- Mustafa Sarıgül, former Member of the Turkish Parliament and mayor of the Istanbul district of Şişli since 1999
- Hakan Utangaç, musician
- Şebnem Paker, Turkish guitarist and singer
- Yıldo, showman, retired football player
- Neslihan Gökdemir, journalist, columnist
- Edibe Sözen, Prof. Dr., academician and politician
- Bengü, musician
- Kıraç, musician
- Aysel Özakın, Turkish-British writer
- Kaan Urgancıoğlu, Turkish actor
Alumni on Wikispooks
|Recep Tayyip Erdoğan||26 February 1954|
|Umut Oran||16 October 1952||Turkey||Politician|
|Turkish Bilderberger businessman/politician|