Finchley and Golders Green
|Finchley and Golders Green|
Finchley and Golders Green is a borough constituency created in 1997 and represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament by Conservative Party MP Mike Freer since the UK/2010 General Election.
The 2018 Boundary Review recommended the abolition of the Finchley and Golders Green constituency.
Prospective parliamentary candidates
Sara Conway had been selected as the Labour Party PPC for the constituency but announced on 10 September 2019 that she was standing down after criticism of her comments about anti-semitism. On 27 October 2019 the CLP selected Ross Houston, deputy leader of the Labour group on Barnet Council, as the new PPC.
Following the defection of former Labour Party and The Independent Group MP Luciana Berger to the Liberal Democrats in September 2019, the chair of Barnet Lib Dems announced on 26 September 2019 that she had been selected as the PPC:
- "Luciana lives in the constituency, has a track record as a dedicated, hard-working MP and has an unwavering determination to see an end to the Brexit chaos now engulfing us.
- "She has the full support of myself, the whole Barnet executive and the former candidate for the constituency Clareine Enderby. We believe she will be a brilliant candidate in Finchley and Golders Green.
The majority of the constituency's territory was previously in the former Finchley seat, created in 1918, and was most famously represented by former Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher between 1959-1992; although boundary changes meant that she never again attained her large majority of 1959, and was re-elected by a 10-point margin in 1974, she was nonetheless returned by majorities exceeding 9,000 votes at General Elections throughout her premiership. Since the nominal result at the 1992 General Election, and officially from its creation, the seat has been a national bellwether.
|Document:The Unprincipled – and Potentially Racist – Lib Dems||blog post||13 September 2019||Craig Murray||If LibDem candidate Clareine Enderby is indeed replaced by Luciana Berger she will be a victim of racism, as the sole grounds on which Ms Berger is being touted as preferable for the 20% Jewish Finchley and Golders Green constituency is her ethnicity.|
- "Boundary review may see Finchley and Golders Green constituency abolished"
- "Brexit Party unveils Jewish candidates for Hendon and Finchley and Golders Green seats"
- "Sara Conway quits as Labour's Finchley and Golders Green candidate after antisemitism comments"
- "Liberal Judaism chief executive backs Labour in Finchley and Golders Green"
- "Luciana Berger will be our Parliamentary Candidate in Finchley and Golders Green"
- "Table showing Conservative MPs elected at the 2015 General Election"