2021 Chesham and Amersham by-election
|Date||17 June 2021|
The 2021 Chesham and Amersham by-election was held on 17 June 2021 in the UK parliament constituency of Chesham and Amersham in Buckinghamshire following the death of the sitting member, Dame Cheryl Gillan on 4 April 2021. Gillan had served as MP for the constituency since 1992. The by-election was the third to the 58th Parliament, which was elected in 2019.
Sarah Green, 39, the Liberal Democrats’ candidate, secured 21,517 votes, giving her an 8,028 majority over the second-placed Tories. Labour lost its deposit securing just 622 votes. This was the lowest Labour by-election percentage in history.
On 6 May, the Conservative Party selected businessman Peter Fleet as their candidate. Fleet was the Conservative candidate for the Southampton Itchen constituency in the UK/1997 General Election, and came second with 28.4% of the vote.
On 18 May, the Labour Party selected Slough councillor Natasa Pantelic as their candidate in the by-election. Pantelic is the lead member for health and wellbeing on Slough Borough Council in Berkshire.
"I’m running for MP of Chesham and Amersham because there is no one representing people who struggle to keep up with the cost of living in this constituency. This is my hometown and where I am raising my children so I want the best possible future for them and Chesham and Amersham. For far too long the gap between the rich and the poor has been widening here and I want to be the voice of the unheard residents."
Hustings on the radio
On 6 June 2021, local radio station Wycombe Sound tweeted:
Following the sad death of Dame Cheryl Gillan, voters in the Chesham and Amersham constituency head to the polls on the 17th of June. Join Bob Johnson as he interviews all of the candidates starting tomorrow on Mid Mornings until the day before the by-election. You can also hear them in full on Wednesday 16th June from 7pm.
- Sarah Green (Liberal Democrat): 21,517
- Peter Fleet (Conservative): 13,489
- Carolyne Culver (Green Party): 1,480
- Natasa Pantelic (Labour): 622
- Alex Wilson (Reform UK): 414
- Carla Gregory (Breakthrough Party): 197
- Adrian Oliver (Freedom Alliance): 134
- Brendan Donnelly (Rejoin EU): 101
- Lib Dem majority: 8,028
- Turnout: 52% (37,954)
- "Tory MP Dame Cheryl Gillan dies aged 68"
- "By-elections since the 2019 General Election"
- "Chesham and Amersham by-election: Liberal Democrats take Tory seat"
- "Chesham and Amersham by-election: mum-of-two standing for new Breakthrough party to be ‘voice of unheard’"
- "Another by-election headache is incoming for Keir Starmer"
- "We are delighted to announce Alex Wilson as the Reform UK Candidate for the #CheshamAndAmersham By-Election"
- "Bob Johnson interviews all of the candidates starting 7th June"
- "Chesham and Amersham: Lib Dems overturn big Tory majority in by-election upset"