Garud Commandos of the Indian Air Force.
|Military activities conducted by specially designated, organized, selected, trained, and equipped forces.|
Special forces and special operations forces (SOF) are military units trained to conduct covert operations, which may include: assassinations, sabotage or hostage rescue, among other things. During the Second World War every major army involved in the fighting created formations devoted to special operations behind enemy lines. In Russian-speaking countries, special forces of any country are typically called spetsnaz, an acronym for "special purpose".
Special forces capabilities include the following:
- Special reconnaissance and surveillance in hostile environments
- Foreign internal defense: Training and development of other states' military and security forces
- Offensive action (like controlled demolition and sniper tactics)
- Support to counter-insurgency through population engagement and support
- Counter-terrorism operations
- Sabotage and demolition
- Hostage rescue
- Naval boarding
- underwater operations 
In general a country will train it's special forces for any terrain that they can encounter, which may include alpine regions, desert, urban environment, jungle, or underwater missions.
|Paul Barril||French spook|
|SBS||A UK Special Forces Unit|
|UK Special Forces|
|This is a page stub. Please add to it.|