Technical University of Nova Scotia

From Wikispooks
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Group.png Technical University of Nova Scotia  
Technical University of Nova Scotia.png
SuccessorDalhousie University
Formation25 April 1907
ExtinctionApril 1997
HeadquartersHalifax, Nova Scotia
Technical and engineering university in Nova Scotia, Canada, later merged into Dalhousie University.

The Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS) was a Canadian university located in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

TUNS was officially founded as the Nova Scotia Technical College on 25 April 1907. On 1 April 1997 it was merged into Dalhousie University.


By the early 20th century, Nova Scotia businesses and industries recognized the growing need for technical education in the province, particularly in light of the coal mining and steel manufacturing boom underway in Industrial Cape Breton. Competing engineering diploma programs were established by four universities in the province but no institution could afford the expense of operating a full engineering program. Following an April 19, 1906 meeting between the Halifax Board of Trade, the Mining Society of Nova Scotia, and these four universities, it was agree to request that the Government of Nova Scotia establish a degree-granting technical college.[1] The resulting Technical Education Act received Royal Assent on April 25, 1907 and established both the Nova Scotia Technical College (NSTC) as well as a system of local technical education/vocational training schools throughout the province. Dr. Frederick Henry Sexton was appointed Principal.[1]

NSTC started classes in September 1909 in a new building on Spring Garden Road. This property was former military land that had been vacated with the withdrawal of the Royal Navy and British Army from Halifax in 1906; the provision of the land included a requirement that NSTC include military instruction in its curriculum. Compulsory military training at NSTC ended in 1945. Initially NSTC offered programs in civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and mining engineering. In 1947 NSTC began offering chemical engineering and metallurgical engineering. In 1961 the School of Architecture was established (the first and only program in Atlantic Canada). In 1964 NSTC began offering geological engineering followed by industrial engineering in 1965. In 1982 the School of Computer Science was established.[1]

On 3 June 1980, following 40 years of lobbying, the Government of Nova Scotia changed the name of the institution to the Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS). The mission of TUNS was described as "contribute to the development of Nova Scotia by providing high quality education, research and community and industry collaboration in architecture, computer science and engineering."[1]


An Alumnus on Wikispooks

John Ashe20 August 195422 June 2016Antigua and BarbudaBureaucracy
Clinton body count
Former Chairman of the UN GA who died a conveniently timed and unusual death before he was due to testify in court.
Many thanks to our Patrons who cover ~2/3 of our hosting bill. Please join them if you can.