Hanken School of Economics
| Hanken School of Economics |
|Business school for the once dominant Swedish-speaking community in Finland.|
Hanken School of Economics (Swedish: Svenska handelshögskolan, also known as Hanken) is a business school located in Helsinki and Vaasa. Hanken was established as a community college in 1909 and originally offered a two-year vocational education.
The Swedish-speaking community in Finland traditionally dominated the bourgeois and high society.
The statutory meeting for Aktiebolaget Högre Svenska Handelsläroverket in Helsinki was held in December 1908, and only four months later the private community college under the name of Högre Svenska Handelsläroverket statutes were approved. Operations started on September 1, 1909. Together with Stockholm School of Economics, Hanken is the oldest business school in northern Europe, with the former opening a month after Hanken.
In 1927, the school was given its current name, Svenska Handelshögskolan. A year later, the school introduced a bachelor's degree in economics, with professorships being introduced in 1934. The first doctoral dissertation took place in 1944.
Hanken was the first business school in Finland to introduce a compulsory stay abroad for its bachelor's students.
Hanken has over 15,000 alumni in 70 countries.
- Lenita Airisto – Author, former Miss Finland and fashion model
- Anne Berner – Business executive, board professional, and the former Minister of Transport and Communications
- Henrik Ehrnrooth – CEO of KONE
- Jannica Fagerholm – Finnish economist and business executive
- Christian Grönroos – Relationship marketing professor named as a Legend in Marketing.
- Carl Haglund – Former Minister of Defence
- Harry Harkimo – Businessman
- Petri Kokko – Former figure skater
- Stefan Larsson – CEO of PVH Corporation
- Henrik Lax – Former member of the European Parliament
- Mikael Lilius – Former CEO of Fortum
- Elisabeth Rehn – former MP of the Swedish People's Party and the first woman as the Minister of Defence in Finland
- Heidi Schauman – Chief economist, Swedbank Finland
- Björn Wahlroos – Professor, banker, and chairman of several boards
- Hans Wind – Businessman and famous fighter pilot in World War II
- Christoph Vitzthum – President and CEO, Fazer Group
Alumni on Wikispooks
|Anne-Catherine Berner||16 January 1964||Switzerland|
|Businessperson||Single Bilderberger Finnish politician|
|Henrik Ehrnrooth||1969||Finland||Businessperson||Big money second generation Finnish Bilderberger|
|Björn Wahlroos||10 October 1952||Finland||Financier|
|6 times visitor to the Bilderberg.|
- Fellman, Susanna; Forsén, Annette (2009). Hundra år av utbildning och forskning: Svenska handelshögskolan 1909–2009. The authors and Svenska handelshögskolan. pp. 30, 36, 38, 213.