High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program
| High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program |
(Research facility, Weapon?, Geoengineering?, Special access program?)
|Interest of||Geoengineering Watch|
The High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) was initiated as an ionospheric research program jointly funded by the U.S. Air Force, the U.S. Navy, the University of Alaska Fairbanks, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
It was designed and built by BAE Advanced Technologies and it's initial official purpose was to analyze the ionosphere and investigate the potential for developing ionospheric enhancement technology for radio communications and surveillance.
There are many theories about the installation, it's capabilities and hidden purpose, as well as other lesser known installations of similar kind that add to the potential, or that may be operated independently.
If the program did indeed have a secret military component and more so, if this was it's core research purpose, then, like with project Azorian and the Glomar Explorer, the program was designed to have a very prominent public face for everybody to see and recognize and another secretive component behind classification as special access program. The Alaska installation was finally closed  but it is thinkable that research and testing is continued with smaller units around the globe that may not even be directly recognizable as such.
Possible utilization scenarios
- causing interference, or even total disruption of communications over a very large portion of the earth
- keeping own communication alive while beeing able to disrupt everything else
- raising temperature of the ionosphere by hundreds of degrees
- large regions of the atmosphere could be lifted to an unexpectedly high altitude so that missiles encounter unexpected and unplanned drag forces with resultant destruction or deflection
- weather modification is possible by, for example, altering upper atmosphere wind patterns or altering solar absorption patterns by constructing one or more plumes of atmospheric particles which will act as a lens or focusing device.
- earth's magnetic field could be decreased or disrupted at appropriate altitudes to modify or eliminate the magnetic field
Russian international affairs and defense committee
In 2002 Reuters reported on the conclusions of the State Duma's international affairs and defense committee which: "expressed concern about the United States' program to develop a qualitatively new type of weapon" and that: "Under the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP), the U.S. is creating new integral geophysical weapons that may influence the near-Earth medium with high-frequency radio waves,". In their appeal they raised the technical possibilities of Haarp and concluded that it will:
- "create weapons capable of breaking radio communication lines"
- "provoke serious accidents in electricity networks"
- "have a negative impact on the mental health of people populating entire regions"
- Geoengineering Watch - What is HAARP?
- Strategic Culture (2010) - Climate Weapons: More Than Just a Conspiracy Theory?
- Official website
- equipment was turned over to the University of Alaska Fairbanks
- https://www.wanttoknow.info/war/haarp_weather_modification_electromagnetic_warfare_weapons saved at Archive.org saved at Archive.is
- http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/haarp-duma.htm saved at Archive.org saved at Archive.is